ian1001

Does E46 bmw 330cd require coding if new battery is fitted?

Hi I heard about 1 series etc if you get a new battery you need to have it coded to the car I was just wondering if the e46 330cd would have the same?

My battery is the origional one from 2005 I've been topping it up, feeding it bat aid tablets and doing a recondition charge with my ctek for the last couple of years but a load of things have stopped working like pdc and obc I think it's too much of a coincidence they would all break at the same time so I think it could be new battery time. Also it's only showing 12.2v when no running.

It has a similar thing to the 1er where it cuts the lights, stereo etc when starting to make sure maximum power goes the the starter motor so I was wondering if this is the case?

regards

Nope, no coding required for battery on the E46.

The only coding required on an E9X and above is to tell the car of the battery capacity if it's changed. If it's a like for like swap it doesn't need coding.

cannot go wrong with a bosch s5 or even a s3,,varta have good batteries also.

I ordered one from eurocar parts but it was too big to fit into the tray.

I ordered one from bmw it was cheaper (even after ecp discount) however the cold cranking amps is rated at 720.

Is this going to be powerful enough for a 3 litre deisel?

The origional battery was 80ah and 800cca very strong battery lasted 12 years