BMW330CDe46

Too Much Wheel Spin

I drive a 330 CD e46 2005. Car has been modified using coilovers all round. Wheelspacers used on front. Issue I have is that I get way too much wheelspin under even minimum throttle. Nightmare trying to pullout of junctions as traction control will not allow car to move in 1st at all. If traction off, then just complete wheel spin even at 20% throttle. In a straightline my car still spinning in 3rd.

Both rears since change of suspension have had wheel realignment but still on negative camber. Tyres are brand new quality tread tyres. Short and long of it is that power simply not being transfered onto road and as a result of continual wheelspin and traction kicking in, driveshaft snapped last week.

Any suggestions to help improve other than return to original suspension.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, mjn said:

Cheap tyres, minimum grip.

The 330d has a decent amount of torque, you need decent rubber.

I have 4 brand new tyres, plus before suspension was changed, car had same power and no problem delivering. Problem has occured since lowering.

16 hours ago, BMW330CDe46 said:

I drive a 330 CD e46 2005. Car has been modified using coilovers all round. 

There's no coilover on the rear. 

As above if you lowered it quite a bit you need to get it all aligned. What tyres you using ? 

The rears should have negative camber, around 1.5 from factory, but when you're lowered, you might be looking at closer to 2.5

Which shocks / springs / coilovers did you go for?

Ultra budget coilovers. Then complains about poor handling......

Could be that the suspension setup is too stiff for our pothole ridden roads.

Are you SURE it's wheel-spin?

Unless the suspension has been setup horrifically wrong there's no way shocks/springs being changed should cause wheel-spin like that.

Are you sure your wheels or drive-train aren't bouncing?

Does the DSC kick in and aggressively reign it all back in? If the DSC was working correctly even after a remap you should be getting minimal wheel-spin.

I had overly aggressive DSC before, since I replaced my DSC sensors on the master cylinder it's much better now. But then I hardly get any wheel-spin unless I do it intentionally.

1 hour ago, mjn said:

Ultra budget coilovers. Then complains about poor handling......

Could be that the suspension setup is too stiff for our pothole ridden roads.

How do i change stiffness in same coilovers? And it is wheelspin i am trying to correct. Adjusting coilovers on rears to sit a fraction lower, will that help reduce the wheelspin? And should i change camber to less negative or increase, again to try avoid the excessive wheelspin i am getting under very minimum throttle. Thanks

24 minutes ago, momo said:

Are you SURE it's wheel-spin?

Unless the suspension has been setup horrifically wrong there's no way shocks/springs being changed should cause wheel-spin like that.

Are you sure your wheels or drive-train aren't bouncing?

Does the DSC kick in and aggressively reign it all back in? If the DSC was working correctly even after a remap you should be getting minimal wheel-spin.

I had overly aggressive DSC before, since I replaced my DSC sensors on the master cylinder it's much better now. But then I hardly get any wheel-spin unless I do it intentionally.

Its traction kicking in like mad. 1st gear literally with quarter lock steering car wont even move. If i have traction off then i can control throttle input a little better but still get a lot of wheel spin.

Well that's what you get for buying cheap coil-overs!
A coil-over suspension is always going to lead to a harsher ride quality than a stock set-up.  But if you buy a high quality branded product, then it really shouldn't be unbearable.
With the cheap-as-chips product you have bought, I struggle to see how you could expect anything but the given result...??
You're sadly unlikely to ever achieve a decent result, but your best bet is probably to set it at it's highest setting with the softest damping possible.
It's down to physics - the harder and lower you set the suspension, the less weight-transfer you will get - i.e. weight transferred to rear wheels during acceleration, the outside set of wheels during cornering and the front wheels during braking.  This inevitably will lead to less traction, unless it's a high quality product which has been finely tuned & tested to your specific car.  In realworld terms, a coil-over set-up is really only of any use on smooth racetracks - certainly not on British pot-holed roads.

1 hour ago, 02Anders said:

A coil-over suspension is always going to lead to a harsher ride quality than a stock set-up.

In realworld terms, a coil-over set-up is really only of any use on smooth racetracks - certainly not on British pot-holed roads.

Neither of the above sentences make any sense at all, both are untrue. 

35 minutes ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

Neither of the above sentences make any sense at all, both are untrue. 

I guess it's a matter of opinion then, as I would arguably say the same about your reply...  ;)

12 hours ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

No its not a matter of opinion at all. You made two statements, neither are factually correct. 

So if that's the case, then enlighten me.
Let's have your argument as to why my two statements are not factually correct.
Simply stating that I am wrong is quite frankly not going to cut it...

No no, lets hear yours. You said "A coil-over suspension is always going to lead to a harsher ride quality than a stock set-up" 

Where's your evidence supporting this ? 

You also said "In realworld terms, a coil-over set-up is really only of any use on smooth racetracks - certainly not on British pot-holed roads". 

Again, I'd love to hear your reasoning for this ?