Sergo

Oil problem ?

Hello all i am kinda new here so i am not sure if this is correct place for this topic

So 2 months ago i bought my self E46 325ci 2003  automatic facelift and i went to my local service place to get general maintenance done,, but today i found out from him that instead of fully synthetic oil he put in semi synthetic oil ?? is that a problem ore should i get it changed now because iv read that i only should get full synthetic oil , ore that's not a problem ?

thank you in advance and sorry for my broken English ( not my native language:D

In the short term it is unlikely to cause any damage but you do need to get it out of the engine and replace with fully synthetic. I would replace the filter too as it's cheap enough, so why not.

Then don't go back there!

It's not hard to find what oil the car takes and they cut a corner, likely using whatever they had in the workshop. What other corners do they cut?

Kirkynut 

1 hour ago, kirkynut said:

In the short term it is unlikely to cause any damage but you do need to get it out of the engine and replace with fully synthetic. I would replace the filter too as it's cheap enough, so why not.

Then don't go back there!

It's not hard to find what oil the car takes and they cut a corner, likely using whatever they had in the workshop. What other corners do they cut?

Kirkynut 

I quess i was lucky i only got oil and filters and spark plugs done with them 2 months ago, i did notice yellow engine light coming up when i turned off the car and turned it back on when the engine was worm (it come up for about 10 seconds but the oil level in the morning was fine ) but he told me kinda in the lines ,, the car is pretty old and most probably the sensor is playing up but as an non car mechanic i thought,, hey that guy defenetley knows better than me. Just to clarify he put in 5w30 semi synthetic oil.

My main concern was the damage it might cause. Just to clarify i need 5w30 full synthetic oil on my car that has almost 100 000 miles on it   

Edited by Sergo

The yellow oil level light coming on for a few seconds as you start it when the oil level is fine is due to a failing oil level sensor but they all do it, even genuine ones, so unless it stays on don't worry. It's not worth changing it to have it fail again.

Yes 5w30 is recommended but I use Halfords own 5w40 fully synthetic and find it burns much less oil as a result in my Mrs 145k mile 325i. This is due to the oil being slightly thicker when cold and not getting past the slightly worn oil scraper piston rings as a result. I ran 5w30 in it last time and saw no benefits. I've run it on 5w40 since 90k miles with no issues. 

Kirkynut