Sign in to follow this  
B.Merr

13 Year old EGR Valve - First ever clean!

4 posts in this topic

B.Merr   

One for the diesel owners out there...admittedly I'm a few years behind the curve on EGR valve cleaning, gave it a go today after over 10 years of ownership. Check out the pics!

Photo1614.jpg

Photo1616.jpg

B.Merr   
59 minutes ago, Markus5000 said:

Bet that's gonna feel better :) nice job

Unfortunately for me it was only half a job! :mad:

...followed one of the forum diy's, intending to replace the swirl flaps with blanking plates. Reached the final step, which is to undo the five 11mm nuts securing the intake manifold to find my 11mm socket wasn't deep enough to get enough purchase and I didn't want to risk rounding the things...so put it all back together again, filthy manifold and all. Will be shopping for an 11mm deep socket or 11mm box spanner tomorrow.

At least the egr valve is cleaned, 90% of the crud was scraped off and for the last 10% I used brake cleaner and an old toothbrush.

Anyone know what causes the oily crud build up? Does the crud originate at the turbo and find it's way to the egr valve via the intercooler and charge hoses? Or is it the recirculated exhaust gasses that cause the crud?

rasa   

the crud is just exhaust gas/fumes from diesel etc,it just builds up as any car would,alsom depends how the car is driven as to when and how many times the egr valve has opened.