Morning all - I'm Matt ^_^

Only had my 330d touring a couple of weeks and already have found this forum to be a great help so thought I should at least say hi :-)  This is my first 3 series but not my first BMW; more on that in a mo.  The car is a 330d Touring with 6-speed manual and had 178k on the clock when i bought it.  The previous owner has really looked after it mechanically, having done clutch/dmf, oil breather system and swirl flaps in the last few years.  It's even had a new turbo.  I am pretty besotted if I'm honest as it's a right laugh to drive when you want or will sit at illegal speeds on m'way all-day-long without a murmur.  The interior is a nice place to be and has also been kept tidy.  The fact that it only set me back £1650 is pretty incredible i think!

uc?export=download&id=0B42Q4_7LVIndRUNvQ

uc?export=download&id=0B42Q4_7LVInddHZVR

The other car with which this now has to compete for my affection is my '72 BMW Touring.  It was raced until 2003 by a chap called Dennis Crompton and then abandoned on a farm til 2009.  I picked it up early 2010 and took just over 6 years to get it back on the road.  Yep - it's road-legal :D  Engine is an m44  from an e36 compact with a chip tune so probably around 160bhp. It only weighs around 3/4 tonne so goes along pretty nicely ;-)

uc?export=download&id=0B42Q4_7LVIndSVpCe

Clearly most at home on the track but I've taken her to Germany last year and both France and Holland this year - it's loud, hot and uncomfortable but I've not owned or driven anything else that gives me a grin like it does :-D

Germany last year for BMW 100 yrs and 50 yrs since production started of the 02.  Very special trip and got the car MOT'd for the first time since 1996 less than a fortnight before we had to leave the UK!

uc?export=download&id=0B42Q4_7LVIndS2wye

Provence in Spring with some of the great folks on 02forum.co.uk

uc?export=download&id=0B42Q4_7LVIndOTBMe

FInally got around to changing the wheels to something a bit more dishy for a trip last month to Holland:

image.thumb.png.07335f57d7179077997bc5ce22e6bff8.png

nice aye,,and the touring is ok also,,its the engines on these beasts that are a motoring marvel.

Actually, did I give you a gearbox for the '02? I'm sure I gave one to someone with a 2002 Touring who was rebuilding it for track use. You have a Volvo estate at the time? If so - it went to a great home, by the looks of things!

If that was you, how does the e46 compare to the Volvo? I was looking at the Volvo range to replace my last 330d, but decided against it in the end. Hopefully I made the right choice!

Edited by TriggerFish

Actually, did I give you a gearbox for the '02? I'm sure I gave one to someone with a 2002 Touring who was rebuilding it for track use. You have a Volvo estate at the time? If so - it went to a great home, by the looks of things!
If that was you, how does the e46 compare to the Volvo? I was looking at the Volvo range to replace my last 330d, but decided against it in the end. Hopefully I made the right choice!
Hi Dude - it was indeed me! It was the flange i was after as at the time i had an m10 with 4spd box and wanted to mate to late e30 pop. Thanks again forr that ;-)

On the 3er vs Volvo front i guess it's obvious which one is the better driving machine (!) What's less obvious is that the Volvo was better (and faster) down a harsh/rutted b-road than the 3er, as it soaks up bumps way better and actually gave me more confidence. It does all the things you expect and, were it not for a wierd mechanical failure in the gearbox, i'd still be driving it. Can't say i'm unhappy i had the excuse to change, mind :D

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk