Vik

Need Help With Lowering

Hi Guys, I need some help. I have been offered 40mm eibach springs bmw for e46 325 auto coupe. It is running on 18 inch MV1's will i be able to use these springs on the standard shocks without issues? Has anyone done this and have pics of the results? Thanks for your help in advance!

Yes, Eibach springs are designed to be used with standard shocks as well. I was previously running their sportline (red ones) lowering springs on my coupe with standard shocks and experienced no significant issues, although as with any lowering springs they are likely to reduce the life of the standard shocks in the long term due to being lower and putting slightly more stress on the components. I wasn't particularly happy with the rear drop (about 10mm) so ended up changing for coilovers.

Hi Bob_303 thanks for the quick reply. 

Do you think i will have a problem with the springs i have got as they are 40mm? That just sounds like a lot i dont want to put them on and find out that my wheels are rubbing because it is too low when you had coilovers how much drop did you have?

No they will not cause any rubbing with standard wheels. They don't drop the coupes 40mm as coupes come with sports suspension as standard  which is approx 15mm lower than standard. It seems as though you are talking about the eibach pro-sport springs (black ones?) which don't go as low as the sportlines, if they say 40mm then you will actually be looking at 25mm front and around 5 - 10mm rear. 

Lowering springs don't go as low, max 35mm up front and 15mm rear which you can achieve with the sportlines, however with coilovers you can go lower even with stock wheels as the wheel offsets are high which make them sit further in the arches, but if you put wheel spaces on then you may get some rubbing with coilovers depending how low you go.