Sign in to follow this  
blacmkagic92

346 330d manual or auto?

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a 330d. It is going to be a high miler. In all honesty, the miles of the the car itself isn't a big deal. I'm just unsure which variant to go for; the manual or auto?

I have heard that the manual is the better drivers's option, slightly better mpg,  and is more robust, but not the smoothest. On the other hand, I've heard that the  auto is smoother, but are aren't as strong, especially if you were to remap the vesicle,(which I may plan to do in future).

What sort of mpg are people getting from both variants?

I've had two manual 328ci's in the past, but just wondered if the nature of the diesel engine would be better suited to the auto transmission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, such as maintenance costs for things like the gearboxes etc. With me looking for a high miler, I imagine, that some servicing of the gearbox would be required in the not to distant future.

On 1/9/2018 at 14:01, blacmkagic92 said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a 330d. It is going to be a high miler. In all honesty, the miles of the the car itself isn't a big deal. I'm just unsure which variant to go for; the manual or auto?

I have heard that the manual is the better drivers's option, slightly better mpg,  and is more robust, but not the smoothest. On the other hand, I've heard that the  auto is smoother, but are aren't as strong, especially if you were to remap the vesicle,(which I may plan to do in future).

What sort of mpg are people getting from both variants?

I've had two manual 328ci's in the past, but just wondered if the nature of the diesel engine would be better suited to the auto transmission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, such as maintenance costs for things like the gearboxes etc. With me looking for a high miler, I imagine, that some servicing of the gearbox would be required in the not to distant future.

The Auto's are bombproof if not ragged on every journey, Personally i'd never drive a manual ever again (haven't for 12 years). Albeit it's swearing on here most of my auto's have been clk63 and c63 amg's (still got all 4 of them) the stigma with auto's going bad went out in the 80's. take the ease of not changing gear over the retards stuck in the past saying auto's are no good, the gear change on an auto bimmer is smooth as you like and a pleasure to drive ;) 

Edit: if you're going to remapp anyway sack the 330 off and go for the M3 no point remaping a work horse, I've got some monstrously high hp cars but when (if we're not on santa pod or a track day) do we ever get to use it, my ethos after spending 000,000's modifying cars is style over speed and the e46 and 36 are beautiful as they are.... No point adding an extra 35bhp on a remap on a 330 to still get twatted by a focus ST... unless people are into that? 

Edited by mnb1985