Jeremy Sawyer

Tyres-Wheels on 330ci M Sport facelift 2004.

Having just bought myself a 2004 330ci m sport facelift model which I am delighted with its in mint condition in Le mans Blue 6 speed Manual.

Would like to get some views on wheel tyre set up for maximum road holding performance.

The tyres on the original alloys at present are Bridgestone R18 255 x 40 front and 255 x 35  on the rear.

Was pushing it a little  into a sweeping right hand bend the other day and did lose the back end slightly and the DSC kicked in any advice on this would be appreciated. Having said that the road surface was not dry so maybe I got as much grip as I deserved to get.

Edited by Jeremy Sawyer

That's the right size tyres.

It could be that the tyres are old/worn. Never been a fan of Bridgestone myself tbh - they seem to be a hard compound (last long, but less grip).

For best grip you need a softer compound (Dunlop/Goodyear/Toyo etc..). But don't expect them to last long. That, or drive within the limits of the car and current tyre combo! :lol:

i have bridgestone potenza rft on rear of my e90,,total s**te,,i will be putting uniroyal rainsport 3 on when these are worn down,,the fronts are s**te also (landsail) i have the uniroayal on my e46 330d and with near 270 bhp they are great tyes..maybe a little soft but the wet weather is awesome and the price is awaesome also..i can get a set of 255-35-18 and 225-40-18 fitted for £360  canny price..i had uniroyal on my 300 bhp focus st also last year

Ok thanks for the replies. So really I need a softer compound the uniroyal rainsport 3 would these tyres still perform well in the summer in dry conditions? Compared to another brand?

Wont be changing for a while yet as the Bridgestone still have reasonable tread for now and I dont drive it every day.

Edited by Jeremy Sawyer

the rainsport are still a good dry tyre,,but any old tyre is decent in the dry,,but put some real budgets on in anything but a nice summers day and thats where you find out and why they call them ditch finders..i find with the rainsports that i have to put an extra 2-3 psi of air in them,,they are honestly the best bang for buck tyre ive ever had,,the eagles are great tyres also,,ive had them on my e46 and focus st...they work out more expensive.and are just not as good in wet conditions..although they are still worthy.

Great thanks for this guys think I am liking the sound of the Rainsport 3 tyres.

What about tyre pressures for these size tyres on my Coupe 330ci m sport. Dont have the original manual so cant look it up but would really like advice from more experienced owners.

load wise its mostly only me in the vehicle clubs in back  5% of the time daughter and partner.

We have common ground rasa as I have just returned from the Golf range.

Tyre pressures are on a sticker inside the drivers door usually. 

I've had Vredestein for a number of years now. Had Ultrac Sessanta originally - they were the perfect blend of grip/life I think. They're no longer in production now though so have gone with Ultrac Vorti tyres - a little harder compound so a little less grip, but still grip very well.

thats wrong,,,factory spec is 8.5j wheel with 255-35-18 tyre on the rear and 8j wheel with 225-40-18 tyre on the front..them 255 fronts will fell tram liney maybe

Double check you didn't read it wrong.. :)

Should 100% be 225 front.

There's nothing wrong with a square setup really, but if the front are 255/40/18 then it should be a taller tyre too. It doesn't look it from the pics.

If they really are 255/40 at the front, check the wheels are original (BMW stamped on the inside etc..). The front should be 8J and the rear 8.5J. 255 is way too wide (IMO) for a 8J wheel.

also im pretty sure its 38psi rear and 36psi  front if i remember correctly,,i usually put 40 rears and 38 fronts with the rainsport tyres

Edited by rasa

I put 32psi front and 33psi rear, makes for a much better ride and uses the contact area better.  The door pressures are way to high and factor in the rise in tyre pressure with heat they are even higher.

Thats on 225/40 front and 235/40 rear on vredestein sessantas.

I will be putting michelin cup2s on for the summer.

I think tyre pressures are a personal preference.

I used to put 32 fronts and 37 rears on my 330d but felt it was too "dull". Went to the recommended 37 front and 43 rear (remember, it's the heavier 330d) and suddenly the car came alive! Handled like it was on rails after.

The ride was a little harsher, but I didn't mind.

I would use the pressures on the door and drive for a bit, if you don't like then soften up 5psi on both axles then adjust from there.

I have used Uniroyal in the past on another car but one of their older models of tyre. They were great.

On my e46 and the Mrs' e46 I put Avons on and have not had an issue with grip in any conditions. I drive hard on occasions but smooth too. If you do something to upset the balance of the car mid bend in the wet you will get the back to let go with any tyres on.

Kirkynut

yeh,,the new uniroyals have shark skin tecnology,,they even have little shrks embossed around the tyre,,as tyres go they are nice looking also. 

Like the sound of the Shark skin technology! Just had to bite the bullet today and buy 1 Bridgestone Potenza as three have loads of life left but the inside rear needed to be replaced cost me £137. Next full change will be the uniroyal rainsport 3. As I am only hearing good things about them. Two weeks in just love driving this Car!!!! 

IMG_20180113_160213.jpg

Read up about Vredesteins (Ultrac Vorti is the new summer tyre) - best tyre for the money as far as i'm concerned.. Know a few high-powered //M cars with Vreds - and like me, they stand by them.

Hankook are also quite soft.