Jeremy Sawyer

Extra power and grunt what to do?

7 hours ago, Jeremy Sawyer said:

Ok what would be a good starting point without killing my wallet? 

nothing for an n/a car..you need a turbo or super charger as has been said,,you might get 20 bhp if you spend a bit on remap/induction etc etc but it aint worth the outlay 

The 330 challenge boys are getting 260bhp from theirs and as far as im aware they only have m52 manifolds/ custom and a custom 1 piece exhaust system, ram air filter and ducting and a remap.

Daz, when did you jave yours mapped? Did you have any extras fitted to the car ?

13 hours ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

A re map won’t even see anywhere near 20 horses, and I’m talking from experience. 

yeh,,i never meant just a remap..i was on about all the other gubbins,,ie without a turbo or a super charger..when i buy a car i do a bit of research beforehand..ie what the car is capable of for the outlay etc

17 hours ago, Jeremy Sawyer said:

That would interesting to find out exactly what they do to get to 260 bhp 

260 is only 30 bhp though,,and quite a bit to do ie manifold etc

4 hours ago, rasa said:

260 is only 30 bhp though,,and quite a bit to do ie manifold etc

Exactly its not a lot is it 30bhp but then thats NA tuning, it left the factory very nearly at its peak.

2 hours ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

No mate, nothing else. It’s a few years ago now, probably way back in 2008 or 2009...

As above in standard form it really is pointless having it mapped even if mapping has come along a bit more since 2008 its at its peak with all factory components.

I have m52 manifolds and downpipes ready to go on mine to completely decat the car, coupled with the bmw performance exhaust and modified airbox i would like to see a good gain but this is all in prep for going supercharged.

Edited by R11CH

11 hours ago, R11CH said:

Exactly its not a lot is it 30bhp but then thats NA tuning, it left the factory very nearly at its peak.

As above in standard form it really is pointless having it mapped even if mapping has come along a bit more since 2008 its at its peak with all factory components.

I have m52 manifolds and downpipes ready to go on mine to completely decat the car, coupled with the bmw performance exhaust and modified airbox i would like to see a good gain but this is all in prep for going supercharged.

how much will going SC cost when all is done..

Realistically the NA tuning stuff is nice enough, you might get a few 10s of hp & it'll feel faster because it's making more noise, in the real world all that power will be right up top and not particularly relevant. I bought my car with a flash tune that actually reduced peak power, I wouldn't waste your money.

The Vortech-based supercharger kits transform the thing & make for a really nice road car, as quick as anything non-M that BMW is putting out today and your butt dyno will definitely feel the difference from right down low in the rev range. Peak bhp in the 300s without changing the exhaust, 320s with an exhaust change, still meet emissions if you keep the rear cats & 25-28 mpg daily is my experience after 10k odd miles without issues.

Good luck..

So Govich you have had this done then when and where and what was your total outlay?
Just going to weigh it all up also consider the implications of possible extra maintenance as a result of supercharger?
Thanks!

I believe Govich May be selling his set up, send him a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, avalaugh said:

I believe Govich May be selling his set up, send him a PM

Postponed it for now... It's too much fun on these cold nights B)

23 hours ago, Jeremy Sawyer said:

So Govich you have had this done then when and where and what was your total outlay?

Just going to weigh it all up also consider the implications of possible extra maintenance as a result of supercharger?

Thanks!

The ESS VT1 kit was about £4k delivered. I put Ignition Projects coils in for £500 (arguably necessary, the stock coils wear quicker but avalaugh's were OK) and if you do the headers, depending on what route you choose it'll set you back somewhere around £500-1000.

Aside from a supercharger oil change every 7500 miles and doing the engine oil & filter more frequently, it hasn't needed any more maintenance.

You'd probably get a high miles 335i for about the same price as all of that these days but IMO the E46 is a sweeter drive, doing the install is rewarding and I love the sleeper thing.