Badz

Help with android head unit

Hello all, 

I am after some some help with wanting to have a android 7.1, 2GB head unit install in my 2005 M3 convertible. It has harman kardon / sat nav. 

What i I want to gain is to have a up to date stereo with with oem look, touch screen, GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth, DAB, but at the same time still be able to use my harman kardon sub and amp. I’m getting very confused and conflicting information that if I run one of these head units I have to bypass the amp and can’t use it or the sub but then also read some people have managed to keep the amp and sub.

would really appreciate some help and advise on if it can be done, how, and what hear unit / wireinf looms I need.

I am getting so many different story’s, one installer said my HK amp will be redundant and now way round it, Some sellers of the android units tell me it’s not possible and amp is buy passed, same say it’s plug and play, some say needs additional wiring. So many different story’s, was hoping some one who has done a straight plug and play and kept their HK could advise me what unit they used for this. Don’t want to loose the HK and obviously the more straight forward the better 

Edited by Badz
Spelling

I'll try and explain...

Front of car -> HU connector -> back of car -> HK amp -> output to speakers

The button on the dash simply enables or disables the spatial sound DSP in the HK amp

Basically, the headunit connector behind the dash connects to the HK amp no matter what you plug into it.

My touring has HK, and so far has had the stock CD player, an Alpine CDE-9880R, a Parrot MKi9000, and now an Erisin Android headunit connected. All of those different setups output four channels to the HK amp, then the HK amp sends it to the speakers. The stock subs worked, as did all 8 speakers, and the spatial sound still worked fine.

I think there are some cars that don't have HK but do have a DSP (I think these are the ones that come with stock navigation) where the amp and radio is in the boot and the only connection to the front is the screen connection where the setup might be slightly different - but in conclusion:

If your car came with HK and no nav, you can connect ANY headunit up to the socket behind the dash and this will 100% work with the HK system.

I have a 330D Touring on a 2004 plate. It came with a CD53 unit up front, and Harmon Kardon. I needed NO additional or replacement wiring for the HK system to continue working when installing an aftermarket headunit. I literally bought the 17-pin to ISO adaptor (or used the one included in my Android headunit package), plugged it in and it worked. It just works when you plug it in.

Edited by dontpannic

I have been now looking and reading for weeks and still dont know if possible or not,

I have HK sound system, sat nav, CD changer, HK speakers, sub and amp

CD changer, sat nav, amp are in the boot

If anyone can link me a android oem style head unit and looms that they KNOW will fit my setup would appreciate this

On 1/25/2018 at 16:30, dontpannic said:

So essentially your car has factory Harman Kardon and you want to know if you can use an Android head unit with it?

Yes - it's totally plug and play.

i also have sat nav in the boot, if this makes a difference?

also will my amp and hk still work?

What do i need to buy?

any links would be grateful

Edited by Badz
spelling

OK, i have read about this 5/6m extension, shame there is no way around this then, last time i fit a stereo 15 years ago was a lot simpler, 

Guess i just have to bite the bullet, buy the head unit and extension and hope all still works.

On 2/2/2018 at 22:59, Badz said:

OK, i have read about this 5/6m extension, shame there is no way around this then, last time i fit a stereo 15 years ago was a lot simpler, 

Guess i just have to bite the bullet, buy the head unit and extension and hope all still works.

Have you installed one now? I'm currently looking at this unit: http://www.dvdgpsnav.com/bmw-e46-m3-android-multimedia-navigation-system-e46-radio-dvd-player-head-unit.html