mjlowe

Cost of owning an E46 330ci

Hi All,

I've been looking at getting rid of my 2011 Ford Focus Titanium X as i have had a fair share of mechanical problems in less than 2 years of ownership (Costing over £2.5k!!!) and i came across a Stunning 2003 e46 330ci clubsport.

I have been wondering how much it costs to run a car of this age in terms of repairs, fuel consumption etc.. i have had a look at a few threads but most of which are about 5 years old now.

Just in case anyone is wondering a link to the ad is below

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801152769802?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Mike 

I have had my 2003 325ci for 6 years now and is sitting on 150k and in that time i have had to replace due to failure an alternator, fuel pump, coolant expansion tank with top rad pipe, radiator, water pump, rear bush and front lower arms. 

I don't think for a car of its age and millage its that bad, lovely car to drive and can return good mpg if driven right.

Find one thats been well looked after with documented history and you will have happy motoring.

£6k for a clubsport? Low mileage or not, that's steep!! Probably about £2k too much i'd say..

god i hate them spoilers..i like the satndard sport ones as ive got one but cannot get away with the clubsport ones,,and agreed 6k? thats e90x money without the rust

6 hours ago, mjlowe said:

Hi All,

I've been looking at getting rid of my 2011 Ford Focus Titanium X as i have had a fair share of mechanical problems in less than 2 years of ownership (Costing over £2.5k!!!) and i came across a Stunning 2003 e46 330ci clubsport.

I have been wondering how much it costs to run a car of this age in terms of repairs, fuel consumption etc.. i have had a look at a few threads but most of which are about 5 years old now.

Just in case anyone is wondering a link to the ad is below

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801152769802?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Mike 

As others have said 6k is rather steep but they're great cars and in my experience providing they've been well looked after they are cheap to maintain/own too. I've had two a 328Ci and my current 33Ci and most of the maintenance I have done has been preventative or just because I like things to be 100%. I've never been let down by either of mine due to something failing and they've both been my daily drivers.

The only issue that did come a bit unexpected was the rear subframe issue I didn't know about which my 328Ci suffered badly with. Once you now about this issue its easy to get under the car and have a look make sure there are no signs and as far as I can tell it mainly effect the real early ones (my 328Ci was a 2000) and the M3's.

I couldn't think of another car I'd rather be driving right now with my budget. They look great too :-)

1 hour ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

It’s definitely overpriced, the lack of heated seats and Xenons would break the deal for me <_<

Looks like it has Xenons to me?  Has the Auto mode on the LCM at least with headlight washers..

But yeah for £6k i'd be expecting it to be VERY highly specc'd.. It's also got the wrong wheels (the MV2's look like reps to me, rears look the same as the fronts).

Has to be £4k max!

22 hours ago, momo said:

Looks like it has Xenons to me?  Has the Auto mode on the LCM at least with headlight washers..

But yeah for £6k i'd be expecting it to be VERY highly specc'd.. It's also got the wrong wheels (the MV2's look like reps to me, rears look the same as the fronts).

Has to be £4k max!

It has the wheel for the height adjustment Momo, come along now. I expect better from you :P

4 hours ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

It has the wheel for the height adjustment Momo, come along now. I expect better from you :P

facepalm-statue.png

That's poor form.. You are right! lol.

HI pal!

I've had my 330ci for just over a year and a half. Cost me 4.5k @ 77k miles.

Biggest cost so far has been rust repair on the rear arches which came to around £800 for cutting and welding and paint.

Other things have been coils on the rear and a shock but that's expected for this age, no running issues at all just parts that wear with age which don't cost the world even for OEM.

MPG on a motorway run can be a good 29-33 but town driving I average 23 (i cry)

Hope this helps!

IMG_8612.JPG

Hi Guys. 

Currently deliberating over either a 325ci or 330ci. Obviously I would prefer the 330 in terms of performance but I’m thinking about the 325 simply because of the better fuel consumption. Is there a huge difference between the two in terms of consumption or if you’re driving sensibly (my commute is almost all dual carriage / motorway) will you not really notice the difference? 

Thanks! G 

I'm sure others will add their thoughts too but I think there is basically no difference in fuel consumption, as the engines are basically the same design but with slightly more capacity in the 330. You might get around 1-2mpg worse in a 330, worst case, mainly in town driving. If you get a 330 6 speed then this should have better cruising economy than a 325 anyway as they all have a 5 speed box. The 330 5-speed revs lower than a 325 5 speed so I think the difference on the motorway would be negligible.

Mine will get about 38mpg at 70mph on cruise in 6th, and that's with a calibrated mpg computer (yes I've got OCD!). It does have new pre cat O2 sensors though which gave me about 4mpg on the motorway - old ones had 150,000 miles and the exhaust started getting smelly. Only buy genuine BMW/Bosch if you ever need to do this job.

Road tax is under £300 on the 330 too.

High RON fuel helps with economy too on these cars, I've found Tesco momentum to work well, and it's cheap. Might want to use an occasional drop of fuel system cleaner or tank of VPower as a treat very now and then as it's got a very good detergent package to keep the engine clean, and has the anti-friction additive too.

Edited by Tim-Ci