Keith

Fire Extinguisher Retrofit

After doing the delock HERE, I did this...

The OEM fire extinguisher install :D . This has to be my favourite ever mod, of any of my cars, just because I think it’s such a cool piece of OEM goodness B) and I love seeing a little bit of the red protrude from underneath the seat. Always missed it since only my first E36 had one, and none of my BMW's have since... Until now :angry: .

I couldn’t find an E46 specific extinguisher listed anywhere, and didn’t fancy paying dealer prices for one (£100+ I think), so I sourced a OEM extinguisher listed as an ‘E38/E39 Fire Extinguisher inc. Brackets’ for £55 delivered (bargain). I figured I’d just make my own bracket, or mod it to fit – somehow. Anyway, when it arrived I was amazed to find a brand new, unopened OEM Extinguisher :D . What's more, after a bit of research on RealOEM, it turned out to be a universal extinguisher (part 72600000335), and the only reason it was listed as ‘E38/E39’ was because of the bracket. Another call to Cotswold and I was £7 down but in the possession of an E46 bracket set (part 82279413886)...

Brand new! Box was sealed and came with a crisp new instruction manual (it can't be that hard to operate surely?)

3575681627_6c3ccfdaf9_o.jpg

3575682037_f03db66e1e_o.jpg

3575682473_efb3a2b76e_o.jpg

Installation was not as easy a bolt on bracket, clip in extinguisher – far from it. Unless the Extinguisher was spec’d from new, none of the mounting holes are pre-tapped. Not even the brackets they sent you are, and these have to be tapped too. Luckily, because of my work, I had a decent tap wrench set at home. However, underneath the seat is tight and way too small to rotate a tap wrench at the angle required. I ended sawing off both handles of the tap wrench (I’ll pick another up from work) so I could rotate it in space available. Once everything was tapped I had similar problems screwing the torx-head bolts in place – again, the spaces were just too small. I put a bit of thread-lock on each bolt and started to turn them, as they got tighter and further into the tight space it was about a 1/8 of a turn at a time. ANYWAY, got there in the end, and I’m dead chuffed – I think it looks great. B)

This pic from RealOEM shows the shape of the brackets (like little 'V's - not sure they are £7.50's worth though :roll: )

3576488370_ba3a7b8f1b_o.jpg

I've annotated this shot to help anyone else who wants to have a go...

3575683667_fc504651d8_o.jpg

3576487926_46cc7f53d8_o.jpg

All in (seat is raised and set back to its furthest position here)

3576487416_6d01b0d414_o.jpg

Just some more because I love it (and they show the new OEM mats...)

3575683009_56e49e58af_o.jpg

3575683819_6f51079343_o.jpg

Hope you like, and anybody who wants to do the same, feel free to ask me any questions.

Cheers,

Keith

Looking good dude!

I have to say if it were me and i had a freshly mixed can of EB sat in my garage, i would be rubbing that bad boy down and getting a bit spray happy again. :)

LOL interesting idea Marty; You're just a absolute sucker for coding aren't you mate - trust you to come up with that :DB) !

Looking good and red is such a cool colour B)

Right off to look for one now :)

Cheers dicky... Dude you NEED one in your Imola bad boy... What a perfect compliment to an already perfectly modded motor B)

You know it makes sense :angry:

Luckily mine came with this already in my car, does look cool!!

Cheers Michael - you're one of the lucky ones :D

You're the lucky one.......you got the clubsport!!!!

The model is insignificant - what's important, is what you choose to do with yours :D

That looks great... Lets just hope you never have to use it!!! :)

God, could you imagine watching your pride and joy burn without any way of stopping it... It'd be heartbreaking! :P

Touch wood I'll never need to :lol:

A quick question to any one who's done this, I've got the holes alreay but the screws won't fit ! I'm asuming there not self taping screws so what size taping wrench do I need to get ??

You need to tap the holes mate.

Buy an M6 tap and use it to cut the threads in, ready for the supplied bolts. Dont use self tappers in metal.

You need to tap the holes mate.

Buy an M6 tap and use it to cut the threads in, ready for the supplied bolts. Dont use self tappers in metal.

thanks keith, great help as always, can wait to have this little bit of oem goodness

Cool so its alittle bit extra special lol How much were they as a option Keith? And am loving the E36 M3, would love to have one. But unfortunately couldnt put my plate on one!

Cool so its alittle bit extra special lol How much were they as a option Keith? And am loving the E36 M3, would love to have one. But unfortunately couldnt put my plate on one!

No idea from new. Retro fit kit comes in under £60, but I bet as an option they were £100 odd!

Cheers too mate :)