AndyC_67

Rear parking sensor removal

Hi I have a 2004 330ci convertible. It has the M Sport bumpers  etc. One of the rear parking sensors is faulty. I scanned to see which one is faulty and it's the outer drivers side. When I select reverse there is a constant beep...even with nothing behind. The scan tool shows this one going full on straight away. (Odd as all 4 tick as they should). Anyway my question is whether or not they are removable without removing the whole bumper assembly? Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by AndyC_67

9 hours ago, AndyC_67 said:

Hi I have a 2004 330ci convertible. It has the M Sport bumpers  etc. One of the rear parking sensors is faulty. I scanned to see which one is faulty and it's the outer drivers side. When I select reverse there is a constant beep...even with nothing behind. The scan tool shows this one going full on straight away. (Odd as all 4 tick as they should). Anyway my question is whether or not they are removable without removing the whole bumper assembly? Any ideas? Thanks

yep,they are.. you have to revove the plastic trim on the bumper,,just be careful when doing it,the little bend bit feels hard to renove but it will pop off..same with the rear straight bit..

3 hours ago, avalaugh said:

With M-Sport bumper you have to remove complete bumper, it really is a very easy job, 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

must be different on the m sport saloon as its only the trim needed to get at them.

6 hours ago, rasa said:

must be different on the m sport saloon as its only the trim needed to get at them.

It is.. Saloon/Touring had the black trim around the whole car. Coupe/Vert doesn't.

It's a bumper off job on them unless it's SE - then I think it's built into the bottom diffuser type piece and I think you can reach up into it? Or remove it? Not sure..

Edited by momo

On 28/02/2018 at 13:41, rasa said:

Sorry for replying to an old post. Mine are trim sensors, but can't remove them even with trim taken off. No access from inside the boot and no access from underneath. Is it a bumper off job or am I being daft?

3 hours ago, EasyE said:

Sorry for replying to an old post. Mine are trim sensors, but can't remove them even with trim taken off. No access from inside the boot and no access from underneath. Is it a bumper off job or am I being daft?

Is yours a saloon?

If so it'll have black trim, you have to remove that to get the sensors off. Start at the corner where it wraps around the side.. The trim just pulls off. You'll need a covered screwdriver or a trim removal tool to start it

Yeah mine is the saloon. I got the trim off successfully but not sure how to remove the sensors. One tip was pulled off with the trim. All 4 are knackered.

Are they meant to pull out? Is there no clip to undo?

My last E46 was a 2001 320 and the sensors were in lower diffuser and really easy to do.

18 hours ago, EasyE said:

Yeah mine is the saloon. I got the trim off successfully but not sure how to remove the sensors. One tip was pulled off with the trim. All 4 are knackered.

My last E46 was a 2001 320 and the sensors were in lower diffuser and really easy to do.

It's been so long since I did it, I think it's a twist click fitting

On 01/10/2020 at 20:47, EasyE said:

Sorry, just checked on a pic - they've got tabs on either side, so you'll have to use a little screwdriver to remove the sensor from the trim.

6 hours ago, momo said:

Sorry, just checked on a pic - they've got tabs on either side, so you'll have to use a little screwdriver to remove the sensor from the trim.

Cheers. Can you post the pic somi know what I am looking for. Seem to be quite a few varients of parking sensor location and type.

Help is much appreciated,  Thanks momo! 👍