incredirog

Black 330d Sport Touring

D4342938_6_BCC_4_B6_F_BEDD_C5_FBE91_DA8_

thought I’d sneak one last mod in before the window of opportunity slams shut. 

I generally hate taking it to a garage so the antisocial nature of this is perfect for me. also I’m not trying to squeeze the maximum out of it just a nice little bump! 

pretty sure it’s going to bring the driveway clutch and flywheel replacement forward a bit though! 

Edited by incredirog

just driven it, it’s a lot faster now, I’ve got nothing to compare it with but it feels faster and more responsive than a R56 Mini Cooper S I had years ago. Bit of a puff of black smoke on WOT, soon cleared going up through the gears. Pulls a lot nicer now in 4th and 5th at dual carriageway/motorway speeds. On a power/pound/ease basis it’s hard to fault.

It downloads the cars base map onto the device via the OBD port. you then download the super chips windows program and plug the device in to a USB port. It uploads your base map to Superchips and locks the device to your vehicle some how. About half an hour later they email you to tell you they’ve found a suitable map for your vehicle and you plug your device into the pc upload it to the device. Then plug the do dah in to the OBD again and follow the instructions and it uploads your new map! Simples

could just about get a rolly paper in that gap ha ha  

in the finest traditions of maintaining a high miler I got my brakes all back together and had 7 glorious days before one of the rear calipers seized. I knew it was on the cards as I could barely push the piston in to change the pads with it off the car and disconnected. decided to change them both as they were in a terrible state. Pagid refurbs from ECP nice little discount, still expensive but cant be bothered to get in to a diy rebuild on my only method of transporting the familam. Fronts seemed to have faired better but only time will tell. 

pressure bled about 5 litres of fluid through (recycling as it was already flushed a few weeks ago) and still had bubbles so buttoned it up and took it for a drive, pedal feels perfect so I’m assuming air was being drawn into the bleed screw around the hose or threaded connection and giving the impression of air in the system. took too long to figure this out, wasted an evening on a 15 minute per side job. 

How does it compare to the clubsport one (the one you had before)? What was the price?

I had the CS one in mine for a few years but wanted heavier so bought the storm motorwerks one.. PROPER weighty! lol

I like it, it’s heavier, shorter and more slender than the old one, which I don’t think was a club-sport/zhp. Feels like a quality product in the hand. Got the matching handbrake handle on order from latvia or some other weird place that begins with L. The carbon cube dash and door trims are going silver with a nice gloss coating! Should freshen the black hole up nicely! 

Problem is now I’m really noticing how sloppy the rest of the linkage is so I’m eyeing up the E60 shift conversion.

Got it for £49 from bmwdirect on ebay.

Edited by incredirog

so it wasn’t a failed wheel bearing on the family bus as I suspected, much much worse, I didn’t put thread lock on one of the PCD adapter/spacer bolts or even torque them down, they’d all worked loose but were thankfully being held on by the mounting face of the wheel and the thread in the hub. glad I’m not a procrastinator or it could have been a wheel off accident for certain. it’s shaken my confidence a bit, checked the other three corners were torqued, they were. normally I’m fastidious with critical things like brakes and wheels, can’t believe I was this stupid! anyway no harm done and I’ve kept it quiet from the Mrs she wouldn’t be happy a wheel could have come off on the school run! 

Been there, done that!

Replaced all my brakes in an afternoon when I was short of time - but had a BANGING headache!

Forgot to torque the last wheel correctly and didn't even think to check the next day. Went to fill up fuel and thought this is getting worse - drove straight to mates garage. Oh how they laughed at me! :ph34r:

Lesson learned! lol

painted up the interior trims, two light coats of zinc primer, a few coats of generic alloy wheel silver with a two good coats of lacquer. cured them in the boot of the car sat in the sun all day! 

http://4_E7_BCEBC_8_EB2_4_D0_F_8_D2_F_4_BF7_D35

http://5_E31_C80_A_15_C7_42_F5_A136_1_CC19_AAAA

really happy with the results it’s lifted the interior and helps tie in the wheel colour and gear knob. chrome instrument rings no longer match though! 

Edited by incredirog

I wired the sockets in, took my 12v feed from the retrofit seat wiring I did. Forgot this is permanent live though so had to pull the fuse. It only works for my desired setup if I can leave the USB’s plugged in and they’ve got tiny LED’s so it’s gonna be a battery drain. Got a relay ordered up so I can take a trigger from the accessory circuit and keep my chunky 12v feed in place. It’s the little things that annoy me most, the two rear sockets have a lovely orange halo around the sockets the front doesn’t. Livid!! Anyway after some dialogue with coupedin I’m gonna be retrofitting an E53 intensive wash stalk and wiring the supplementary button to activate the headlight wash! 

lately I’ve put in a cheap dash cam, put a dual usb socket in the oddment tray by the OBD socket, fitted projector fog lights, experimented with and got rid of wind deflectors and replaced a headlight wash telescopic thingy. I’ve  lost a bit of passion for it now though, new paint, leather seats and new wheels are the only things left to do on it really and I’ve not got the money for any of them! 

so the projector fogs are a surprisingly good piece of kit. work well with the halogens but come into their own when paired with some bi-colour led bulbs. 6000k white or 3000k yellow they change each time you power up the lights so first “on” is white, turn it off and on again and it’s yellow. excellent beam cut off nice spread and decent construction. can’t speak for weather proofing as I had to mod them to take the heat sink of the led bulbs.