incredirog

Black 330d Sport Touring

big picture update coming soon! got some ACS type 3 reps being powder coated to go on. just finished the suspension/steering refresh with new track rods inny and outeys and adjustable drop links, poly ARB bushes. the track rod ends we’re hanging on by a thread and the in joints weren’t much better. Sport track rod ends were too long so got some adjustables and set them up with zero preload on the ARB. just booted it up the road and back and it drives straighter than it did before the work. Can’t wait to get the tracking dialed in! need to roll, pull and fettle my rear arches to take the ridiculously offset wheels now, trying to fit et15’s on the rear!!!!! fronts are a more respectable 38 

unfortunately the laws of physics puts the ET15 rear fitment in the too difficult basket. Static, they look incredible perfectly flush with the wheel arch. 

3116140-A-45-B6-4648-9904-400399-CF1908.

So tried the other one on the front 

00527-DFB-11-F6-44-FE-9199-3-A668847-F8-

pretty blinking wide!!! got the two fronts fitted now, and my old front tyres will go on the pair of ET38’s I have for the rear then I can play with spacers and arch rolling! 

so obviously now I’ve got the ET38s on the rear it looks weird :lol: the fronts look crazy aggressive which is fine but the rears tuck in and it sits too low, I’m going to raise the ride height 10 or 15mm by means of spring pads and see what I can do with an arch roller. moral of the story is it’s easier to space out wheels than space them in! 

well it’s been a while since I posted!! I’ve still got the 330d but due to where I live and where I work and ULEZ I’ve just bought a 02 318i touring SE in topaz blue. 113k miles. 

B3478831-7418-4389-9C02-B78114EC6384.thumb.jpeg.d5183e1c7c8f900ac78536a197c5f960.jpeg

here’s how the 330d looked before I started tearing parts off her

1E6631BA-1D3A-4D9D-9F53-6DC7FD57A2E9.thumb.jpeg.802790603c6070384bb27045a881023c.jpeg

so the 318i well, it’s slow, painfully slow, I’d got used to having an estimated 200+hp and whatever ridiculous number the torque is at with a tuned 184. It’s a downgrade and there’s no escaping that. Times are tough and I just couldn’t find a 6 cylinder touring in anywhere near as good nick as this. It’s got it’s faults but as I’m taking just about every good part from the 330d and putting it on the 318 I can sort them without buying many new parts. The 330d was approaching 220k so there just wasn’t much point trying to sell it.
Known faults are the rear electric window regulators, rear brakes, front brakes, and it needs a suspension refresh, it’s still got the original cooling system so that’s gonna need doing and the AC compressor makes a horrendous grinding noise. The sunroof works perfectly and drains perfectly. I’m sticking the style 32’s on but avoiding arch work this time, I’m favouring the 215/40 and camber approach instead so I can change it up in the future, kind of got style 68’s on my mind but I dunno. Lots of work to be getting on with! Thanks for reading!

went into battle again today, got the drivers side all sorted, control arm, poly bush and strut, started on the passenger side and the inner ball joint nut has been cross threaded on install and it just won’t undo. had to button it up with mis matched control arms and the matching H&R strut, don’t know what I’m gonna do about the inner ball joint, any suggestions? I was expecting to be unable to break the taper not be unable to undo it 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Never tried one, but maybe try a nut splitter?

Get the old one off, hope the thread for the ball joint is still ok and just replace the nut.

Tbh i've never replaced mine so no idea if you could even get one in there..

I'd possibly consider getting the full Meyle kit for it.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/CONTROL-ARMS-WBONE-MEYLE-HD/dp/B0068MGN6O

it’s pretty tight, cutting is the way I think just need on the nut or the thread, the meyle HD arms are good, I put 40k on them on the 330d and they’re still perfect, theoretically it’s one of the simplest jobs on the car! 

Edit, done! dremel with flex attachment snaked it in there and had a perfect angle, eye pro absolutely essential as my mince pies were directly in the firing line about 4 inches away from the disc. All bolted up and test driven, feels like a brand new car even before alignment! 

Edited by incredirog
update

stripped the 330 brakes down, full front setup with dust plates. hopefully just the rear calipers if they fit with the 318 discs. 

edit: they don’t fit, not even close, definitely not stripping four rear hubs just for the upgrade so it’s new 318 discs and pads for the rear and a nice bleed with fresh fluid. 

Edited by incredirog

slowly getting there, rear suspension and then that’s the mechanical stuff done, save for accumulating some spares, I understand the rads and condensers are the same across the platform, stuff like that I’ll squirrel away. and so moves on to the interior, via the rear suspension so boot first, including no less than full HK retrofit, heated electric memory seats and every thing that’s grey is changing to black, lot of work need to plan it carefully as determined to have it all wired in OEM but only want to take the dash out once and it’s my daily!