Sign in to follow this  
BMWE46OG

Reverse parking sensors - not working

5 posts in this topic

BMWE46OG   

I have a 2002 325 Touring which has non-functioning reverse parking sensors. 

This weekend I tried to get them going again without any joy. I have however managed to confirm a few things:

The speaker works, the PDC module works (tried mine in another BMW), the sensor noise comes on for 5 seconds when starting the vehicle (no doubt to alert me the sensors aren’t working correctly), all sensors tick when ignition turned to 1st position, have replaced all sensors with 3rd party sensors but still doesn’t work (in fact 5-second alert and ticking stops altogether). I also disconnected everything (speaker, PDC module, battery) in the hope that a major reset would do it but it didn’t. 

I would love help on this as I’m really keen to get them working again - I just can’t seem to pinpoint the problem.

have you run a diagnostic check yet? I know some of the available software will allow you to run a real time test of the system showing the values the sensors are detecting. 

momo   

More than likely those sensors you fit are also duff.

The 5sec beep happens when a fault is detected on the system. If that's gone now but it's still not working then i'd bet the new sensors are the problem.

Aftermarket sensors are extremely hit-and-miss on these E46's. The only ones that work reliably are new from BMW or Land Rover.

You can try 2nd hand, but you could be throwing more money down the pan if they're DOA.

momo   

There's a post or two shooting around on the forum here with part numbers..

Basically BMW owned LR at around when these cars were sold so LR used lots of BMW parts - the parking sensors were also used on the LR Discovery and they seem to be like 50% of the cost from BMW