Ragamuffin

Misfire and traction light flashing.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I have owned this car for approx. 6 years, and until today no "worry" faults other than wear and tear parts. Today I drove a distance of 266 miles, 133 each way. That is lots more than I usually do in 2 months. On the journey there, I noticed when in 3rd gear pulling around a roundabout, the traction control light flashed, with a bit of a misfire. On the way back, it happened more frequently, to the point of me struggling to overtake a truck on the A14  It seemed to clear for another hour until I came to a roundabout near home. 1st gear was fine, and second, but started misfiring in 3rd almost to the point of the car behind me thinking I was messing him around. On the straight, it seemed to clear up until the next sharp junction. Can anyone help?

Strange combination.

What model is it you have ?

Did you have a full tank of fuel and it still miss fired?

Weak fuel pump?

Sticking brake caliper?  

Dirty or faulty abs sensor ?

Might be worth having the car plugged in to read any faults before throwing money at parts.

Thanks Rich. I filled the tank full before I set off (always fill up with BP Super Plus or whatever its called) It was on half by the time I got home. Its a 330 petrol and I fitted a new petrol pump last year after total failure, luckily on my drive. Odd thing is, I went out this morning, albeit only a few miles, and the car seems to be back to normal. But there must be a fault somewhere, seemingly when all the running gear is warm and been driving a while.

Are you sure you have misfire? Or is the traction control? I had problem last year on my 330ci where the TC would come on for no reason. First mostly around fast right hand bends. Got worse where it would do it in straight line at random. 

Renoved both rear wheel speed sensors, clean them and relucter rings, and it's been fine ever since.

2clubsp         Thank you for your input.  I went for a longer drive earlier, and once warmed up, going around a roundabout TC light flashing again. I turned off the DSC button, and the symptoms stopped, with the car driving normally, roundabouts included when I gave it a bit more throttle than I like to, just to check (much to the annoyance of my wife ("why are you driving like this?") as she was hanging on to the inside door handle and her side of the seat.  I replaced a nearside rear wheel speed sensor about 4 years ago - TC light on, fuel gauge stuck on quarter, and no speedo. So the offside may be dirty or need replacing. I have tomorrow off work, so I might take it off at the axle side and give it a clean, weather permitting. Again, thanks for the help.

I had this last year around right hand corners and to cut a long story short, the abs ring and sensor were worn and its been a good one ever since.

Mine is an auto and popping it into manual did help for a short time.

Mart.