martauto

Calipers

Advert says they're new..

Tbh not sure i'd trust them at that price!

I just recently had a refurb'd caliper fitted at £90. I know you can get them cheaper but at least you know it's half decent quality being a refurb! lol

Well, it certainly seems a reputable seller. I would at least want to see an actual picture, not a generic image.

I usually just rebuild them myself. Done plenty, so pretty quick job these days.

Personally if I bought those it would just be for the shiny, I’d also be buying a rebuild kit from BMW so the innards were oem spec. They might be fine but brakes aren’t really something you want to go budget on, and there is nothing worse than having to do a job twice because of substandard components. 

I have now bought budget tyres for all of my cars in the last 3 years and have had no problems and have been supplied and fitted by a reputable place. I just bought some rear shocks for £32 for the sport and they are the dogs, the Baur has had a set on for nearly 4 years now and are fine.

Most rear shocks are the same throughout the cars range but come with different price tags !!

I am just wondering about the "fear" factor that is put into peoples minds about such items. I am a toolmaker and can spot "crap" a mile away and having worked in retail (When my trade has pissed me off.lol) I know how much profit margin some companies load onto things which being a toolmaker , I know who makes what for who if you see what I mean.

A recon unit will be something which has not had the caliper re-bored and over sized pistons and seals fitted which "should " be the case , only having been cleaned up and new seals and pistons fitted. The bore is the MAIN item here.

I may just take a punt on these .

Mart.

Edited by martauto

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Brake-Caliper-Front-Left-Right-BMW-3-3-SERIES-E46-330-X3-E83-Z4-E85/182845275311?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I went with these and it only took six days from the day to arrive from Germany also with carrier slider bolts and rubbers in as well.

They look very sturday and well made too.

Mart.

1 hour ago, 2clubsp said:

It's easier, though, isn't it. Oh, and new and shiny!

yeh,,bit lasts about a month  

On 5/18/2018 at 15:03, Daz 330 Cs said:

A new piston and seal is around £20 from Brakes International, not sure why anyone would need to replace calipers. 

Like I said before, the bore needs attention also if the piston is no good but this does not get done.

It`s like fitting new pistons to an engine with poor bores.

Mart.

On 5/18/2018 at 15:03, Daz 330 Cs said:

A new piston and seal is around £20 from Brakes International, not sure why anyone would need to replace calipers. 

Looked into caliper rebuilding 4 years ago, combination of laziness and lack of courage led me to buy a caliper for each corner, total cost £250 and I had to hand in the old calipers too (it was either GSF or ECP, can't remember which one).

I'd be inclined to have a stab at rebuilding these days. My understanding is the piston and bore can be cleaned up with wire wool or similar, the only new part required being a rubber boot. Looks easy enough to pop the piston out using pressure from the brake pedal, my concerns are how easy it is to reinstall the piston and to refit the rubber boot - are those two steps difficult? Any tips?

I wouldn't reuse the piston. They are usually corroded to the point when even after a cleanup will be suspect. The bores are usually in pretty good shape and only require minor cleanup. Make sure the square groove that seal sits in squeaky clean.

The refitting is easy. Use a bit of the grease (sparingly!) included in the rebuild kit to ease the piston into new seal and fit rubber dust seal.

On 19/05/2018 at 15:30, martauto said:

Like I said before, the bore needs attention also if the piston is no good but this does not get done.

It`s like fitting new pistons to an engine with poor bores.

Mart.

Except that an engine piston moves up and down in the bore thousands of times a minute and tight tollerances are much more impotant as it has to stop combustion gases getting past. A brake piston only moves a small amount each time you press the brakes and so long as it moves freely in the caliper is unlikely to cause a problem.

Point taken , but there is alot of pressure in the brake system , more than in the engine, and fitting new seals in a bore that has been cosmetically cleaned only, seems as though the re-con guys are on to a big win situation.

£125 plus for a new piston and seals and a good clean AND your old one back seems a bit wrong.

Mart.