Sign in to follow this  
Dave330

Coupe rear window switches - Going bananas!

As alluded in my ownership thread in General, my rear window switches are currently displaying a hilarious fault.

While they work to open and close the rear quarter windows, they also (seemingly at random) now appear to open the boot, activate the hazards, lock the doors and turn on the wipers! I suspect some kind of wiring short under the centre console, but before I start digging I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue. Google isn't suggesting anything obvious...

On 18/05/2018 at 13:07, incredirog said:

sounds like it could be a faulty GM5 module which controls all of those functions. not sure about the hazard lights though I thought they were on the lighting module. 

Thanks for the note!

Oddly all of the individual functions themselves still work with no untoward effects, and the rear windows themselves still open/close on the switches (while various bits entertain in symphony). I'll do some reading, but would be appreciative if you could point me in the direction of any decent articles.

here’s a nice diy

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17830-BMW-E46-GM5-(Body-Control-Module)-Rebuild-Central-Locking-Relay-Replacement-doityourself

Having thought about it though, while most of the systems you talk about work off the GM5 module your initial idea of a short is probably a better bet to investigate first. work your way back towards the module and see if there is anything obvious. good luck! 

42 minutes ago, incredirog said:

here’s a nice diy

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17830-BMW-E46-GM5-(Body-Control-Module)-Rebuild-Central-Locking-Relay-Replacement-doityourself

Having thought about it though, while most of the systems you talk about work off the GM5 module your initial idea of a short is probably a better bet to investigate first. work your way back towards the module and see if there is anything obvious. good luck! 

Thank you. The short was my first port of call, because I've had the centre console apart a few times and may have disturbed something. However, it struck me as odd that this would impact the wipers or boot release.

Actually, it has just occurred to me that one of the switches actually winds down the driver's window when closing the rear window. Would this make it more or less likely to be a GM5 fault @incredirog?