Sign in to follow this  
Dr Evil

Alpine PWE-S8 into E46 Touring

Anyone got any experience of fitting a compact powered sub into an E46?

After replacing the front speakers I'm still lacking any real bass so I've bought an Alpine PWE-S8, an 8" compact Sub. It's footprint is about the size of a sheet of A4 and it's 70 mm high.

Just thinking about where to fit it. I suspect it isn't going to fit under one of the front seats so thought I'd take a long shot and ask just in case anyone else has been down this route already.

Not heard of many people using these under seat subs tbh. Not in an E46 anyway. Is yours a sport? Do you have auto/manual seats?

I think it'd "just" fit under my manual sport seats? Looks like there's a little space in there, not sure how much though - I have my seat at the lowest setting too. If you sit higher there must be more space?

Most people put a full size 10/12" in the boot - with yours being a touring it'd be even easier to get the bass into the cabin with a boot sub.

With Saloon/Coupe it's much more difficult as the boot is almost completely enclosed so no bass gets into the cabin without smashing out the ski hatch.

Manual standard seats. I didn't want to go down the path of a big sub box as I use the boot too much. At least if this ends up in the boot it still won't take up too much space. I'll try under the seat first, I'll need to remove it anyway to get the cables down.

Found this post after I posted earlier:

Looks like someone tried it with a different one and it worked but it's not fully under the seat.

In my "yoot" I used to have a Peugeot estate, had a 12" sub in that. Whenever I needed the boot space it didn't take too long to remove. Not more than 5mins and you'd get waaaay more bass with a boot sub. :D

Not sure the under seat one will sound good in the boot though as they're not really designed to be placed in the boot. Might end up sounding more like a mid than a sub.

Edited by momo

It's not the time to remove, it's the amount of time it wouldn't be in so I'd spend loads of time in the car with no bass. I just like to be able to throw stuff in and not worry about it. While the car is a bit of a toy in some respects it is also a workhorse. I think it will go under the seat and it might stick out when my wife drives, as she pulls the seat forward, but not when I'm driving. It is mouted in a box designed to cope with being kicked etc.

The PWE-S8 is only 1mm taller than the In Phase sub and it's a better shape to fit, being rectangular and so not as wide.

Edited by Dr Evil

I get ya..

Is it worth getting 2 then? One under each seat to help each other with the sound?