Scry

Swapping cars with a friend - curious about tax if I ever sell it?

Hi! :) I'm definitely in an interesting situation. Both myself and a close friend of mine got E46, mine a '05 plate and his a '54 plate - so why are we swapping? He didn't budget himself properly (as standard) and will struggle to afford the 330Ci. I was a little more sensible and got a 325d, and it's a great car but we both much prefer each others! And so a couple weeks ago we both sat down to go through all the paperwork and insurance, and swapped V5Cs.

Now - his car is worth more monetarily than mine - so if I was going to sell it technically I would profit, as my car was worth less. Would this count as capital gains or something? I've looked at sites like these tax tools ( https://www.income-tax.co.uk/ ) but can't get my head around it. It's not a huge amount of money so I can imagine I'd be fine if I kept my head down.

I can't imagine anyone else has been in this situation but any advice would be useful. Cheers!

BMW Never made an E46 325d.. The 325d was introduced in the E90 range as a de-tuned 330d engine.

And no.. You don't pay tax on selling a car. If either of you are worried about the difference, arrange to pay him the difference and be done with it.

might of been sold a pup,,or a collectors dream ha ha ..might be a 320 four pot with a 5 on the end insted of a "0" to trick you..or do you have a 325i?