rma

Am I being unrealistic about 330ci/clubsport prices?

Hello,

New to the forum - I'm on the market for my first E46, after weighing up my options I'd like to go for a 330ci, preferably a clubsport (Estoril blue, manual, no sunroof).

Been driving E36's for a few years but I've always liked E46's and wouldn't mind a change. Been looking around for a few months, and in my opinion I think the prices are crazy. Am I being unrealistic?

I don't want to link any ads, but some are up for £5k+ with over 100k on the clock with no Inspection 2 items sorted (Watercooling system, O2 sensors, CCV, Suspension Bushings, Spark Plugs...etc). I went and viewed a clubby and it was a wreck - the EML light came on during the test drive, exhaust fumes in the cabin, failing clutch and one front grill fell off before I even got in the car :lol: There's probably more but I didn't want to waste any more of my time after driving nearly 2hrs to see it.

Ideally I'd like around 80k miles, 330ci/Clubsport with: No sunroof, FSH and fully manual only (No SMG).

I don't see many moving on Autotrader, Pistonheads, Gumtree, Ebay  and don't see any for sale on "for sale" sub forums on forums such as this - am I looking at the wrong time of year, or is £5k for a 100k-110k mile 330ci/clubsport the norm now?

Thanks for reading

Edited by rma

Just be patient.. The prices of E46's have always varied month-to-month! They may drop soon.

If not, why not do the sane thing and just buy a decent 330Ci and not have to live with the shame of owning the chavmobile of the E46 with it's thwacking great big wang that serves 0 purpose? :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, momo said:

Just be patient.. The prices of E46's have always varied month-to-month! They may drop soon.

If not, why not do the sane thing and just buy a decent 330Ci and not have to live with the shame of owning the chavmobile of the E46 with it's thwacking great big wang that serves 0 purpose? :ph34r:

I was wondering if they would be higher around now being summer. Trouble is I've been looking for around 2 months and would like to get on the road soon, moving into a new place August 1st and ideally would want it sorted by then.

I'll be honest I like the look of the clubsport - especially in Estoril Blue. The wheels and spoiler are my favourite bits :lol:

I'd take a decent 330ci but looking around there isn't anything that's jumping out at me, or it's the other side of the country. Frustrating because I have money in my pocket!!

Edited by rma

Ugh.. Not another one.. lol.

Too "Oooooh, look at me - I wish I was in the F&F movies!!" for me. lol.

Seriously though - the engines are very reliable on them.. Maybe relax the sub 80k requirement. I'd be more than happy to consider a ~100k or above model because it's at around 80-100k that the suspension/bushes start to fail. Over 100k they should already be done.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803254906468?

This one seems ok - looks like an enthusiast owner so should be in better nick than others. It's got Xenons which is a must on these cars I think. Leather (but no heated seats) is also a must as I hate the golf-style pattern cloth seats in the CS'..

59 minutes ago, momo said:

Ugh.. Not another one.. lol.

Too "Oooooh, look at me - I wish I was in the F&F movies!!" for me. lol.

Seriously though - the engines are very reliable on them.. Maybe relax the sub 80k requirement. I'd be more than happy to consider a ~100k or above model because it's at around 80-100k that the suspension/bushes start to fail. Over 100k they should already be done.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803254906468?

This one seems ok - looks like an enthusiast owner so should be in better nick than others. It's got Xenons which is a must on these cars I think. Leather (but no heated seats) is also a must as I hate the golf-style pattern cloth seats in the CS'..

I hear you ;) Personally there's a fine line between a good looking car and being too F&F like - I'm not a fan of body kits, camber, angel eyes or any similar mods. Each to their own I suppose!

I had a look at that Clubsport - I noticed it had M3 mirrors and different wheels which I'd have to get originals, but there's no carbon wrap on the splitters... replica?

I also noticed some of their reviews don't look great on google. It's fairly close by so I could drop by and see it in person to be fair.

Tbh it looks familiar - i'm 90% sure it's an ex member car but I can't remember who the owner is.

I like the mods they've done. Suits the car well. I'd deffo keep the mirrors at least. The standard Clubsport mirrors are just normal coupe mirrors - they look like great big ears on E46s. M3 mirrors are so much nicer!

I'd try to take a peek underneath at the FCAB's - might well have poly bushes in there already which will be a good indicator the rest could have been done too.

Pretty sure OEM splitters weren't wrapped in anything and were either colour coded or just matte plastic. They were 100% not carbon in any shape or form.

Front splitters were just painted black. There were optional proper carbon fibre ones available from BMW at the time but never seen any. Carbon wrapping is w**k, especially the stick on film type.

14 hours ago, rma said:

...I went and viewed a clubby and it was a wreck...

Not surprised, tbh. Many were not looked after and owned by mongs. I looked for quite a while myself. In the end, I bought the best I could find, bought it cheap (under 2 grand) and accepted the fact that it would take time and money to put it right, which it now is. Very much in standard form, except for Android radio and M6 front seats, which look very close to the standard msport seats but much higher quality leather and adjustable side bolsters and lumbar support. Mine has now just shy of 150k miles and I'm not worried about it in the least.

Good luck with your search.