paullaurance

320i tuning (lack of).

On 20/07/2018 at 23:28, paullaurance said:

Is it me or have I got a virtually untunable model of BMW?

E46 320i 2004.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yup!

If you bought an NA to tune for performance, you bought the wrong car. Even the 330i - there's not much available for it, yes you can fit an induction kit and exhaust - but they're more for the sound than performance.. Remapping unlocks a few hp but you won't really feel it.

If you want a tunable petrol BMW you have to go E9X - the 335i as they have turbos. The newer F 3 series have more turbo petrol engines across the range.

Edited by momo

Any engine is tunable, of course. But, as others have said, the cost per hp on normally aspirated petrol engine is much, much higher than the turbocharged ones, petrol or diesel. Much cheaper to upgrade models.

3 hours ago, hagus said:

I believe the 330 engine drops straight in, reflash the ecu to suit and you're good to go, add an exhaust and flilter and you'll have around 250 bhp? The 2.2 is a sweet engine though.

But why go through all that when you can just by a 330? They're not that much more money to justify an engine swap, especially since the resale value of engine-swapped car will be much less as well.