SixPotThree

Red Coolant

Hey guys....

Just investigating my coolant system and found red coolant. I was under the impression our cars can only use green (comma G48 for example)

Is this right?

Thinking I'm going to completely overhaul the whole system....New Radiator, thermostat, waterpump and expansion (recently changed by previous owner but probably change for piece of mind), plus all relevant hoses.

Is this taking it to extremes? Could I just flush the system and refill with correct coolant?

Thanks in advance

🤔 I thought the standard red coolant was bad for bmw engines, didn't react well with the aluminum of the engine so needed something with additives (I don't know what these are) to protect it. Bmw blue or another companies equivalent like the comma G48.

So under further investigation.....there is quite a build up of sludge in the system. Thinking it wasn't flushed before adding new, different coolant and obviously didn't mix well!

I've just ordered all parts for a complete system overall....could clean and reuse some parts but would rather replace for peice of mind.

Parts ordered...

Radiator, Waterpump, Thermostat, Expansion bottle and cap, Upper/Lower/Return pipes, Coolant.

Will goto the dealers and pick up new level and temperature sensors.

Might seem like overkill but will happily spend a couple of hundred pounds for the piece of mind that the cooling system is working as it should!

My question is about cleaning the old gunk out from the engine it's self (behind waterpump etc).

Is it a bad idea to give this a blast out with a hose once it's all stripped down? Should I use a designated flush before stripping down even though all the parts coming off are going in the bin?

Thanks guys

I believe the Red coolant has the best corrosion prevention.  All anti freezes never loose the ability to not freeze.  But the corrosion protection reduces over time, Red lasts the longest.

My E46 325 is loosing coolant.  Haven't looked too hard yet..I'd welcome any pointers.  No rattles so I doubt it's water pump.  2003 so maybe rad ? 

mine started losing coolant last november,,was waterpump,,had quite a bit of play and a strange  sort of noise, but not much,,new pump/belts and a thermostat and coolant,,all fine again..330d 53 plate..also get bmw parts for waterpump and stats

Edited by rasa

On 20/08/2018 at 11:43, manwithtool said:

I believe the Red coolant has the best corrosion prevention.  All anti freezes never loose the ability to not freeze.  But the corrosion protection reduces over time, Red lasts the longest.

My E46 325 is loosing coolant.  Haven't looked too hard yet..I'd welcome any pointers.  No rattles so I doubt it's water pump.  2003 so maybe rad ? 

Check your expansion tank. They hair line crack and can be hard to spot. Get in about the system with a torch while engine running at operating temperature. You should be able to see the leak.

Best of luck dude

No worries 👍

Glad you found it and yeah, pretty easy cheap fix. If you are tackling this from above, make sure you get the bottom pipe connected properly. I made this mistake before, thought was all connected properly but wasn't quite there although felt right at the time. Wasn't till I was doing something under the car that I realised it wasn't seated properly, although it wasn't losing coolant, was a failure waiting to happen.

Edited by SixPotThree

All sorted although I had some problems.  I bought a new Meyle replacement expansion tank.  Couldn't see how to remove it so watched a you tube vid.  This informed me that if you have an auto box the thermostat that cools the oil sits in the expansion tank.  This apparently is normally broken.  Mine was....another £50 !  Then I pulled the clip out to remove the tank but accidentally removed the clip to the auto trans cooler.  this is not really an issue for anyone trying this more of me being an idiot.  this needs to be replaced from underneath.

Then after a day it leaked again and I think I've traced it to the small pipe going into the tank at the top.  This might have been the cause of the leak all along !  Doh ! I smeared some silicone grease on it and so far no leaks 7 days later.

So check pipe properly before replaceing tank...and be aware you might have to cough up another $50 for an auto thermostat.  Although there are cheap ones on ebay...I had no choice as I need to get the car back on the road.

Hope that helps

I finally got around to overhauling the system yesterday and man am I glad I did.....The amount of sludgy crap that had built up everywhere was unbelievable! That bad, that when draining the radiator, the smallest, slowest stream came out and that was with the full size plug removed, not just the smaller middle part. All parts change apart from the rad and lower pipe....firstly the rad was manufactured wrong (eurocarparts -EIS part) the collar for the lower hose was ever so slightly to narrow which caused a leak using existing or new pipe 😠 So managed to give the old one a really good clean, it was actually in pretty good condition! Secondly the new lower pipe just didn't feel like a good fit on the radiator or around the temp sensor and was leaking slightly....yet again existing pipe was in okay condition. Both will do for now but will be replacing them both very soon once a get another day to sort it!

Back to eurocarparts with the faulty/not fit for purpose rad for a refund.....wish me luck! 🤣

Oh and.....the previous owner had the waterpump replaced within the last year, receipt to prove this....yeah right....rusty, noisey and with play in it....new my arse! Think his garage ripped him off.....either a second hand part (my thinking) or a cheap ass part or even not changed at all 🤔

Trouble with using eurocarparts, i fitted a "decent" euros water pump and 20k down the road it had play in the bearings again also the rad was previously replaced with a euros and that had bowed at the bottom. I sacked the lot of it off and went all oem Bmw, fits like a glove and 2 yrs parts warranty. I only use Bmw now as you just don't know what your really getting from euros and doing jobs twice is just a pain.

Got my bits (Rad, Tank, Stat, Pump with metal impeller, pipes) from GSF over a couple of years when I saw it needed them. Last part replaced about 3 years ago, no problems since.

This year, time to change the antifreeze! 

I did have one problem with a 2 year old thermostat, the stub to the top broke off when I tried to change the hose, cant remember where I got it.

I have extensive experience with the E46 coolant system now, having 2 of them on the drive, which I've had problems with. Here are my findings:

Eurocarparts water pumps are rubbish and fail quickly, especially Circoli. BMW use a composite impeller now and are the best to buy and not expensive any more. About £80 from memory. 

BMW thermostats are also not expensive. You may aswell get genuine. 

Hella are the OE manufacturer usedby BMW for radiators and expansion tanks on E46's. Eurocarparts do them cheap. These are worth getting from them but not the cheaper brands they do.

On manuals, the heater pipe that comes down to the bottom of the expansion tank goes gooey and fails. 

Using a tiny bit of red rubber grease helps all coolant parts slide together nicely to ensure they seat properly and seals don't get damaged. 

All of these parts are worth changing at the same time as you approach 90k miles or you'll end up having the car apart many times as each part fails.

Red 5 year coolant is fine if the system is fully drained via the block drain bolt on the UK driver's side. 

Kirkynut