jayla

fix or scrap car? Head gasket gone at 62k miles

Hi

I have owned my car for 11 years and I just spent 400 pounds servicing it and sorting out the misfire. Now it leaking coolant and I been told by mechanic it will cost 500 to 600 pounds to service which will include skimming if needed. I asked another mechanic he said 650 pounds and extra if it need skimming. The car has never overheated.  I tried a website called whocanfixmtcar.com

Mobile mechanic said he can do it for £450 pounds but can you trust a mobile mechanic to do it on my drive way? 

I am thinking if I should sell it as spares and get a new car or repair it. Just cant decide if its worth repairing.

Bmw e46 316i SE auto with 62k miles.  Sad times. If I get a new car I am thinking F30 320i auto. What you guys think

Edited by jayla

have you considered recruiting a confident spanner wielding friend and attempting it your self? if the other option is scrapping it you don’t have much to lose.

in response to should I get a F30 320i that car is obviously going to be better in every conceivable way so just do that.

Edited by incredirog

I said thinking about it dont mean i willing to buy it. I have decided to fix the car because I enjoy driving it. Even though everyone telling  it's not worth repairing it. Just because I can buy a new car don't mean I have to.  It's not always about money more about what the car means to me.  Yes you all may think it's a s**t 4 pot engine but I am fine with that

2 hours ago, jayla said:

I said thinking about it dont mean i willing to buy it. I have decided to fix the car because I enjoy driving it. Even though everyone telling  it's not worth repairing it. Just because I can buy a new car don't mean I have to.  It's not always about money more about what the car means to me.  Yes you all may think it's a s**t 4 pot engine but I am fine with that

Have you considered enquiring what kind of labour for an engine swap? you might be able to get a 320i for not a lot more money. 

Apologies, didn't mean it like that - just thought you'd already made your mind up so wanted convincing kind of thing.

Engine swap is a good idea! I know there's a guy on Facebook who does gearbox conversions for 330d's for around the £500 mark so an engine swap could be around the same (I know there's more work for an engine so will cost more, worth getting a quote though).

I'd personally be hesitant to fix a HG issue on one of these engines because it could go again. Like you say - yours is only at 62k so after having it fixed who's to say it wont go again in 30k? If the water runs too low for long enough then it can distort all sorts of things so it might not just be the head that needs skimming etc..

At the very least a replacement engine would be a better way forward I think. Or if you're willing - a swap as incredirog suggested.

Edited by momo

Dude, just go and get the f30! That was exactly what I have done back in the day when the gasket on my e46 was gone, however I was having something like 189.000 miles, or so. Actually, I did not like the f30, it was pretty sluggish, and the quality of that car was really bad. However, I still got myself a f80 :DDD. I gave my 325i to my girlfriend, and she actually decided to look for a new car on the best car sales online, and she changed it for a mercedes c class from 2017, man I was soo freaking angry.

Edited by Benhart