Sign in to follow this  
MICK 330

Tank Fuel pump 330D

Question Chaps,441110291.jpg

The car (03 330d manual) has cut out on me again today. Fuel related & pretty sure as it dies gradually its not electrical?

Ive just been on the ECP website as I think I may have to change the tank fuel pump. The photo shows the pump is/looks like its also the sender unit or just the sender unit? Says its the pump.Now my gauge always looks about right for the amount of fuel I put in but the Digi read out for miles per fuel has been wrong lately. Ive owned it 10 years & done 180,000 miles in it so I know it pretty well. When I put £50 in  with say 40miles left in the tank she used to read nearly 500miles. Today it was 386. I drove 220 yet it now says I have 282miles left to go. It used to be pretty close to miles driven.

My question is does this pump link up to the digital read out as well?  Or does it go to the brain which tells the read out the figures or I presume both but find it weird the readings have been wrong lately yet the gauge appears normal. Also its mpg read out seems off & ive never seen 35mpg on a motorway outta this car. Tank to trip read out miles are about right just the mpg read out puzzles me. Its doing mid /high 40`s at least. I can still get 580+ out of a tank.

So far ive changed the fuel filter more times than the missis changes her mind. The pump under the seat floor. The Injectors all came up as NFG so I dug deep & changed them. Today the damn thing cut out again. Only part left is the tank pump(unless you know of others???). Im getting the codes read again tomorrow but that has failed to pinpoint the problem or even show one for the last 2 years!

Any ideas chaps??? Hope this kinda makes sense to someone lol.

Got the codes read this morning & while we were at it went through the whole car systems & found 2 of my new/re con injectors actually need to be binned! So at least this repair will be free!!!!!!!

Would this be enough though to make the car shut down??? Any thoughts?