Pnesshead

Vibration from steering wheel when braking

7 posts in this topic

Hi , I’ve got slight vibration coming through the steering wheel , only when braking from high speeds 

it’s not there when braking hard  at low speeds 

any ideas ? Thanks 

Jim27   

Get your front wheels off and have them balanced but also checked for damage to the alloy wheel. Also check the tyres for any damage.

After that try re-bedding in of your discs-pads - read this (proper guide is towards the end of the article) - http://powerbrake.co.uk/tech_info/tech_02_bedin.htm

This all assumes of course that your calipers/pistons are sliding freely and the hub-disc-wheel faces are clean and flat when fitted.

Edited by Jim27

momo   

Sounds like warped discs to me.. It'll be more pronounced at higher speeds. They're probably not that warped to notice at lower speeds.

Hi thanks for reply , when I bought the car the front alloys were  very badly curbed , the vibration  when braking from high speeds  was really bad . I had the car looked at by mechanic and he had good look around car and said everything looked ok , but noticed drivers front control arm had been replaced 

i asked him to balance the front wheels , that’s when he noticed the drivers front  alloy was badly buckled , so looks like previous owner has hit a curb hard!!

I have just bought a good set or refurbed alloys  with good tyres ,  hoping this would sort the problem , it’s a lot better than it was but there’s still slight vibration  at high speeds the guy I bought the alloys from had a look at my brakes, he said the discs looked a little thin, but everything looked ok but my rear pads are low and only have roughly 1000miles left , so these will be replaced next week, I’ve also noticed the handbrake needs adjustment as not holding on hills 

it’s a 330ci Conv by the way 

cheers 

derbyjj   
On 05/01/2019 at 20:45, Pnesshead said:

Hi , I’ve got slight vibration coming through the steering wheel , only when braking from high speeds 

it’s not there when braking hard  at low speeds 

any ideas ? Thanks 

Have the suspension mounts checked