Sign in to follow this  
Aaron1994

Help Required, EGR Valve Wire Melted 320D (150BHP Model)

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, sorry to make my first post a technical help question, but need some help.

Yesterday I replaced my alternator which was kaput, which all went smoothly, whilst I was under the bonnet, I thought I'd take a look at the EGR valve as I'd had trouble starting before, and somebody had mentioned this may be the culprit. Took it off, and sure enough it was absolutely chock full of thick carbon, so gave it all a good clean with some meth spirits, and some scraping fixed it all back together, she started up lovely. Straight away I could smell a burning smell, but being as my drive goes up the side of the house, chalked it up to me smelling the exhaust. Went for a drive, and there was no boost at all. The turbo didn't make any noise and car felt very under powered. Upon reaching home, popped the bonnet to see if I'd knocked a pipe whilst working on it, and see this wire which has melted the entire plastic cover right above the EGR valve. Had a EML come on, (Not read code yet), and it seems very sooty around the area, not sure if that is from the melting plastic or exhaust gasses escaping.

Any help appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

momo   

Looks like you didn't tighten the clip around the exhaust gas inlet.

Dunno about anyone else but i'd strip the protective shield and bypass the melted wires with fresh ones then protect it with insulation tape again. Should fix that little issue. Then see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this