Sign in to follow this  
GJN

Dashcam Wiring

10 posts in this topic

GJN   

Guys,

I’m hard wiring a dashcam into my 330i; which are the best fuses to piggy-back for a constant (ign off) +ve feed and a switched (ign on) +ve feed? I’ve heard that some dashcams can be damaged if either feed cuts out temporarily during engine starting. Also, is there a convenient earth point within the fuse box area?

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to do the same, but managed to splice into a switched +12v line and earth on the interior light behind the rear view mirror.  Just need a multi metre to find out which is the switched live and away you go - without looking at mine I couldn't tell you which one it was, but if you get stuck give me a shout and I'll pull it out and get a photo!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GJN   
15 hours ago, austinsom said:

I was going to do the same, but managed to splice into a switched +12v line and earth on the interior light behind the rear view mirror.  Just need a multi metre to find out which is the switched live and away you go - without looking at mine I couldn't tell you which one it was, but if you get stuck give me a shout and I'll pull it out and get a photo!

 

Thanks very much - I'll look into the rain sensor idea, but I don't think it will work for me, because in parking mode I need a permanent live, and a place for the regulator box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
momo   

Cigarette lighter is permanently live on these cars - could tap into that? Or piggyback of that fuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GJN   
16 hours ago, momo said:

Cigarette lighter is permanently live on these cars - could tap into that? Or piggyback of that fuse?

Yes, I could do that, and also piggy-back the reversing light fuse for the ign. switched feed I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that in the wiring loom for the interior light you'll find a permanent +12v feed too.  I just wired mine to the switched live as I tend to take it out of the car when I'm done.  The rain sensor is a switched line as my other device only comes on with the ignition.  There is also plenty of space to stick the regulator and quite a bit of wiring into the aperture for the light, unless you have a cab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up putting a new fuse leaf in the glovebox fusebox on an ignition switched feed (right hand side of fusebox). Up until then I had it wired in to the torch charger in the glovebox - but I didn't need a permanent live. You could put a new fuse leaf in the permanent live part of the fusebox if you're feeling brave and OEM enough. I actually ended up adding 3 fuses to my fusebox - ignition switched live for dash cam, ignition switched live for GPS tracker, and permanent live for GPS tracker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GJN   
17 hours ago, dontpannic said:

I ended up putting a new fuse leaf in the glovebox fusebox on an ignition switched feed (right hand side of fusebox). Up until then I had it wired in to the torch charger in the glovebox - but I didn't need a permanent live. You could put a new fuse leaf in the permanent live part of the fusebox if you're feeling brave and OEM enough. I actually ended up adding 3 fuses to my fusebox - ignition switched live for dash cam, ignition switched live for GPS tracker, and permanent live for GPS tracker. 

Thanks for the info.

Is there any advantage in doing what you did, over using 2 piggy-back fuses for switched and permanent live feeds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GJN   

I saw a Blackvue power supply that plugs into the OBD port, and includes a voltage cut-off.

Does the E46 have OBD2, with CAN bus, or is it too early for that? Seems like the simplest way to power it in parking mode for £20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The E46 does have OBD2, it does have some sort of bus, K-Line I think rather than full CAN.

The only advantage to the way I did it is I didn't have a fuse piggyback hanging out of the front of the fusebox, and it looks a lot neater (i.e. invisible). Only worth doing it if you've got the fusebox out though, I was doing my GPS tracker install at the same time so did both at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this