Daniel G

coolant system o rings

I had the expansion tank of my 2003 (117,000) E46 Touring changed (after reading a few scare stories about them failing.

Garage said there was nothing wrong with it. There is a heated debate going on about the subject on E46 fanataics. 

Here's a taster:

01-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #19

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)

My e39 it's on the original expansion tank at 170k miles. Replace my E46 expansion tank at a 100k miles.. and it was perfect brand new looking.. waste of time and money

Cooling system paranoid ...a lot of Internet forum hype craziness. If it ain't broke don't fix it and if you bust a pipe .pull over and get towed. big deal

Last edited by OnTheFence; 01-12-2019 at 04:52 PM.
OnTheFence is offline Report Post   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #20

My Ride: 4 doors, 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
My e39 it's on the original expansion tank at 170k miles. Replace my E46 expansion tank at a 100k miles.. and it was perfect brand new looking.. waste of time and money

Cooling system paranoid ...a lot of Internet forum hype craziness. If it ain't broke don't fix it and if you bust a pipe .pull over and get towed. big deal

Both radiators and expansion tanks split soon after 90k. I've been there twice now.

Get the Hella branded ones from Eurocarparts. They are what BMW fitted in the factory, so are OE. Not expensive from there either.

Don't just do one or the other. Do both at the same time.

Kirkynut