incredirog

Knock, knock!

Got a knock, a little tiny front end knock. Seems to occur when I go over little deviations which make the car shake rather than the suspension compress. My initial thought was that I hadn’t tightened the tie rod ball joints down but I checked and they are on pretty tight. It’s definitely not drive train related. I’ve replaced, engine mounts, front control arms and bushes, struts, droplinks, tie rods, arb bushes, steering coupler. Not all in one go, some last year, some this year, some last week. I’ve got the handling dialed in now and it is straight and true just how it would have been from the factory. Just trying to track this knock down. Any help?!

The droplinks are adjustable and at minimum setting following fitment in what I would call a sub optimal work space, could the shallow angle be making the ARB foul on something? 

Edited by incredirog

No wonder you can't work it out with all those new bits! I'm at a loss too! 

Your ball joints can't be gone again already, surely?

Some MOT stations test bushes with this big rig that shakes the car with the tester under it. I wonder if seeking one of those out and asking them kindly to spend 15 minutes checking it is an idea. I've had it where wear didn't show in a panhard rod bush on my off-roader until I really wiggled the steering like a man possessed for my old MOT tester before he retired. This shaker thing might have picked it up.

Kirkynut 

Edited by kirkynut

Cheers kirky, I’ve got the new ball joints but I’m leaning towards the exhaust hangers and gear box mounts. They’ll both need changing anyway regardless of causing the knock or not. And the ball joints can sit in the shed.

I know how to spanner but I can’t rule out incorrect installation of something so I’ve got a lot of work to be checking. It’s such an innocuous tap/knock that I’m now certain it’s not a critical failure. It’s also impossible to deliberately cause it, it seems to only happen when driving down normal roads with normal deviations at a normal speed.