Martin Stuart

Headlight adjustment

Hi, I have just joined.  I have bought a 2006 330ci Msport in the UK.  I live in France and wish to register it there.  I believe that the headlights, if they are xenons, can be adjusted to driving on the right.  Firstly, how do you know if they are xenons and is this correct?  I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Check the back of the headlight unit.. It'll have a ballast and all sorts of high-voltage warnings if it's Xenon. Open the dipped beam cover and check the bulb if you want to be absolutely sure.

Yes, that's correct. There's a lever on the back of the headlight somewhere which you can push and it changes the shutter angle to LHD.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.  I took off the cover as you suggested and there was definitely no switch to convert to LHD.  I also contacted BMW and they deduced from my my reg no and Vin that the lights are halogen, which is a bit disappointing. So I guess it will be replacement of the lights or see whether our local Controle Technique (like UK MOT ) will allow the deflectors.

Just a technical point - the switch doesn't convert from RHD/LHD - it basically just takes the side-specific beam off, so essentially switching between RHD and flat, or LHD and flat. It's OK for temporarily driving on the continent but is unlikely to pass any annual vehicle checks (MOT etc) as the beam pattern won't be blinding anyone, but it won't be correct for your side of the road. In the long run you'll have to buy LHD light units.

It's a white plastic lever on the right or left side of the xenon projector behind the rubber or plastic cap for the dipped beam.

Xenon are projector headlights, so you'll have a lens that looks like the end of a lightbulb, halogen is a bowl made of mirrors with the bulb central.

Edited by dontpannic

All the facelift 330Ci's have projector headlights whether they have Xenons or not.. 

Something I found out recently! V.confusing.. lol.

Pre-facelifts have projector/bowls as per Saloon/Touring. But coupe/vert facelift all had projectors! lol