2clubsp

Time for a suspension refurb: B4 or B6?

At the risk of repeating an age old topic, I can't decide whether to replace the m-sport shocks on my clubsport with Bilstein B4 or B6 units. Any first hand impressions of either would be really useful.

I did read as much as I could on the topic but still can't decide. I understand the B4 is pretty much an OE replacement and that the B6 is a definite upgrade. Either will, or course, feel much better than the currently well worn out suspension. I will be replacing all the associated parts, not just the shocks.

So, will the B4 be good enough? Will the B6 ruin the ride? I'm not after a trackday car, but like a good handling car.

Cheers all!

Edited by 2clubsp

Hi mate,

Did you end up doing this in the end? I'm just about to do the same to me 2003 330ci msport. Almost definitely set on B4s, as I've read they're the closest thing to the OEM/Sachs shocks, and I don't want to make an already jarring ride harder! Like you said, having new shocks and springs should feel great compared to the 16 year old/107k gear I'm currently using :)

I'm also pretty sure about putting Eibach Pro Kit springs on it too, to drop it about 25mm at the front and 10mm at the rear - a very subtle drop I hope. 

If you've done it now, I'd be interested to hear what you went for and how it rides now.

No, postponed it until summer. As you, I'm most likely go with B4. There are two kinds of B4 from what I've found: one for standard suspension and one for lowered msport. Make sure you get the right ones.

Also, it's B8's for msport, which are shortened B6's. 

I fitted Koni special active shocks on the rear (fronts later) These are the replacement for the Koni FSD shocks from a few years back.

All I can say is the car turns better, corners slightly flatter and rides bumps much better than before. I worry about ruining the ride every time I think of suspension but these are so smooth and quiet I'm really impressed. Cant wait to do the fronts and maybe get some uprated ARBs on!