martauto

Dim Headlights

325 2004 cab 

My headlights are the halogen bulls eye type and quite frankly , they are s**t !!!

I put some Osram nightbreaker unlimited bulbs in and they are still s**t !!!

It almost seems like they are on a dim dip cycle so can any one shed any light on this please ? (ooops)

Mart.

lights are still bad so I adjusted them up a bit and they seem a touch better so will take them up a bit more next week when on lates again.

Main beam is spot on.

Could a dodgy relay have any effect ?

Mart.

Edited by martauto

If main beam is good then the output is fine. It's probably the adjustment. May be worth taking it to a MOT testing station to see if they're not wound down? There's a screw in the headlight that you can turn to point them back up.

Saying that, I think my OEM xenons are sh*t these days too.. About as bright as my wife's Astra halogens. But then my bulbs are probably 7-8years old..

On 27/05/2019 at 14:38, momo said:

If main beam is good then the output is fine. It's probably the adjustment. May be worth taking it to a MOT testing station to see if they're not wound down? There's a screw in the headlight that you can turn to point them back up.

Saying that, I think my OEM xenons are sh*t these days too.. About as bright as my wife's Astra halogens. But then my bulbs are probably 7-8years old..

I've had issues with lights not being bright - turned out to be wound a long way down.  The ride height sensor was broken and so the auto leveling dropped them down, but you may not have that if you have Halogens (if you have a wheel with 1-2-3 on the LCM you don't have the auto levelling).  If you do, even adjusting them up wont last, the car will do a self test when starting and if it gets no data from the sensor, the lights just stay down.

The Xenons are bright on the e46, but the dim xenons are generally caused by the vapour deposited aluminium coating burning off the inside of the projector bowls so less light gets reflected out of the lens.  Had this very issue on my e46 and stripped the lights down and replaced the bowls and whilst they are not as good as new cars, they were much better.  I've got a picture somewhere if you're interested to see how bad they can get!

I was quoted about £125 + VAT for a pair to be re-plated.  Replacement headlights were somewhere near £500 a side, so that seemed like a good deal.  In the end I picked up two factory fresh passenger side xenon equipped lights for less than replating and just took the bowls from those and have a load of extra spares for when they're needed!

lol, not to worry, I'm always doing that!

I did get a set of replacement bowls and projectors from aliexpress which looked OK, not top quality but probably better than the burnt out bowls.  I never fitted them in the end (well, one is in an old headlight to see how it works, but not gotten around to that yet!), although according to people who have, the cut-off is more defined and a little narrower than the originals, putting more light on the road.  

These are basically the same as those from retrofitlab, and if you have Xenons, worth having a set on the shelf at that price. I seem to remember that the solenoid is wired back to front on these and the wires need to be switched over on fitting:

Replacement projectors and bowls

As things go, drove home in the dark tonight and the lights dropped all the way down, so I have a sensor failed. Time to buy the proper replacements and not the cheap ebay ones!

Edited by austinsom

I get ya.. If anything i'd rather get new just because you can never guarantee how burnt out the 2nd hand ones are if you get me? You could blow £150 on 2 2nd hand headlights but they're just as burnt out as yours

Be much easier if there was a direct fit, redesigned bowl from a later car available.. Boooooo!

I went through so many combinations to get my Xenons as good as they are now. I'm now running a standard pair of bowls that I found in decent condition with retrofit lab bixenon shutters as I don't have bi-xenon ballasts the 'just run 12v to it' burnt the magnetic coil and they stuck open.

After a lot of pissing about I'm very happy with the light output now lol