archiebroge1

New Member from Scottish Highlands

Hi folks names Archie. I live in Caithness and currently own 4 e46s. Two of them ar parts cars but my other 2 are a 320d msport saloon with 44k. currently in need off a new engine but have one and will be fitting it soon. My other is my 316 compact Currently a 1.8 auto but will soon be a 2.8 manual and will be fitting a pre facelift saloon front end. I will post a build thread of my work when it starts.

Welcome! Sounds interesting!

But 2 Qs - how come a 44k miler needs a new engine? Has it ingested a swirl flap?

Compact sounds good. But why 2.8 instead of 3.0ltr? More power, more readily available parts etc..

19 hours ago, momo said:

Welcome! Sounds interesting!

But 2 Qs - how come a 44k miler needs a new engine? Has it ingested a swirl flap?

Compact sounds good. But why 2.8 instead of 3.0ltr? More power, more readily available parts etc..

2.8 because its what I have. I have a 2.5 there aswell im possibly gonna build that into a turbo engine. haven't done a thing to the compact yet so nothing is definite.

Im very curious also Ive been told its a stretched chain not got the car to the garage yet but will inspect fully myself. At the price I got it for with a new engine I wasn't going to split hairs lol

I'd be amazed if it was a stretched chain at 44k!! These M47/M57 engines go for hundreds of thousands of miles on the original chains usually.. Mines on 147k, I know of others who have gone over 300k with no chain issues.

Sounds like they're confusing the engines with the later N47s.. They have chain issues

6 minutes ago, momo said:

I'd be amazed if it was a stretched chain at 44k!! These M47/M57 engines go for hundreds of thousands of miles on the original chains usually.. Mines on 147k, I know of others who have gone over 300k with no chain issues.

Sounds like they're confusing the engines with the later N47s.. They have chain issues

Might be an easy fix bro here hoping