dunk1

Cooling system

I was with a friend yesterday who has an 03 reg Jag and the rad let go.

It's got me thinking about my 04 reg 330, even though i have no issues with it would it be a good idea to

swap out the rad for a new one seeing as its all original ? only done 76k but its still 15 years old, i've found a

Hella one at eurocarparts for £124 free delivery

Not done mine but the Rad seems pretty well protected tbh. Mine's an '03 on 140k. Still original rad.

The expansion tanks are prone to failure - if you're doing that, then up to you if you want to refresh or not. Probably not much more labour wise to get that done too at the same time

25 minutes ago, momo said:

Not done mine but the Rad seems pretty well protected tbh. Mine's an '03 on 140k. Still original rad.

The expansion tanks are prone to failure - if you're doing that, then up to you if you want to refresh or not. Probably not much more labour wise to get that done too at the same time

A good point about the expansion tank, just been reading about them failing so if i do the rad i'll change that 

at the same time, the hoses all look in good shape, no visual cracking etc 

A Hella tank is £45 on carparts4less so not to bad 

So upon more searching it looks like the pulley and water pump are suspect parts as well.

Any suggestions on the best kits being offered to replace hoses, tank, pulley etc 

If i do this i might as well do the lot and be done with it 

Blummin' 'eck! So you want to do a FULL-ON refresh?

The crank pulley is more prone to failure on the 330d due to the torque. But no matter what engine, if it goes - get the OEM BMW one. NOT an aftermarket replacement or it'll fail in no time..

Same for the water pump tbh.

Might aswell do tensioners while you have them apart.

And seen as though you're in the mood to blow some cash, the PS pump is prone to failure where the shaft snaps holding the pulley. There's an uprated one available. lol.

Purple tag steering rack too while you're there? Haha

I don't really want to but it seems like its stupid to fit a new rad when all these parts have week areas and can fail at anytime, i've opened a can of worms 

The OE water pump has a plastic impeller which fails, the pulley fails as that's plastic, the expansion tank fails as that's plastic, same as the rads end tank, where do you stop lol

It's all working fine at the moment, no issues at all but for how long, are these parts an age related issue or mileage ?

Lol. I get ya.. It's a bit of a mystery though tbh as i've seen some people have failed expansion tanks at 40-50-60k and some at 180k! My cooling system is all original @ 140k, apart from the water pump..

On diesels though the rad is also behind the intercooler so extra protection.

Personally unless you're wanting to do a full refresh for the sake of a refresh and have the cash to blow on it i'd leave it all as it is and replace as/when needed. If not then like you say, where do you stop? I know I did a belt-drive refresh when I bought my car all those years ago and bought OEM parts where needed. It wasn't too much shy of £2k to get it all done (inc average priced labour). The crank pulley was £400 at the time. Alternator £450, water pump was £150, all tensioners etc.. They'll be cheaper now..

Tie a few bits together, yes.. So for example if the expansion tank blows then use the opportunity to replace the rad too. But I wouldn't go replacing bits if they're working..

IIRC the later (after the production run of E46's finished) water pumps came with a metal impeller. The crank pulley fails as it's rubber bonded to metal so when it petrifies over time it comes away, same as the prop centre support bearing.

I hadn't factured in the crank pulley ffs lol 

Had the car on the ramp 2 days ago to fit new rear discs pads and hand brake shoes, whilst we did that we

popped the under tray off and had a close look at the expansion tank, rad, hoses etc everything bar the tank looked in 

very good condition. Looks like its got a very slight leak so its off the road till its replaced.

Popped into Sytners and got good discount on the Water pump, expansion tank, cap, sensor & thermostat

Nissens  radiator will also be fitted along with new belts and pulleys.

Will be changing the viscous coupling to a Febi Bilstein as that seems to have very little resistance 

Edited by dunk1