h13vyy

320Ci Windscreen Washer Issue

Hi,

I’ve got an issue where the windscreen washers (Both left and right) are very weak (barely hitting the windscreen).

I disconnected the tube from the washer jet nozzles to identify where the issue is. I ran the washer again with the tube disconnected and noticed the water was trickling out the tube and not ‘squirting’ out. So I thought based on that the issue lies with the Windscreen washer tank or pump.

So I went to the scrap yard and found a e46 and tested the wipers and the washer squirted out like how it should! So I bought the tank along with the pump. I fitted this into my car and it didn’t resolve the issue.

I then thought it may possibly be the tube (from the tank to the jet nozzles) that may be blocked so I blew into it and air came out the other side of it without any issue. So I took it the garage the mechanic said he thinks the pump needs replacing but for me this is hard to believe considering it worked perfectly fine when I tested it at the scrap yard.

Has anyone help with this please? It’s not a big issue at moment but I know I will need to fix it soon as we’re heading into the winter and will need to use it with all that grit on the roads! 

Any ideas will be welcome :) 

At the bottom of the tank where the pump pushes into the rubber fitting is a fine plastic mesh filter.

Lever out the rubber fitting that the pump pushes into, being careful not to mis-shape or damage it and check the filter. 

It might have got clogged with crap of the sides when you filled it. 

I dropped a tiny bit of bleach into mine to kill any mould growing and kept repeating the cleaning process until there was nothing left. Tedious but now it's clean and doesn't clog up. 

I now drop the tiniest amount of bleach in the reservoir each time I fill it to stop crap growing in it and clogging the filter.

If your rubber seal doesn't seal once you've put it back together, just smear the tiniest amount of instant gasket or sealant on it and don't re-fill until it's had time to set.

Kirkynut 

55 minutes ago, kirkynut said:

At the bottom of the tank where the pump pushes into the rubber fitting is a fine plastic mesh filter.

Lever out the rubber fitting that the pump pushes into, being careful not to mis-shape or damage it and check the filter. 

It might have got clogged with crap of the sides when you filled it. 

I dropped a tiny bit of bleach into mine to kill any mould growing and kept repeating the cleaning process until there was nothing left. Tedious but now it's clean and doesn't clog up. 

I now drop the tiniest amount of bleach in the reservoir each time I fill it to stop crap growing in it and clogging the filter.

If your rubber seal doesn't seal once you've put it back together, just smear the tiniest amount of instant gasket or sealant on it and don't re-fill until it's had time to set.

Kirkynut 

Where is this mesh filter? Is it part of the windscreen wash tank because I replaced the whole tank. Or is it separate to the tank? I read about this mesh filter on another post but can’t locate it. 

52 minutes ago, h13vyy said:

Where is this mesh filter? Is it part of the windscreen wash tank because I replaced the whole tank. Or is it separate to the tank? I read about this mesh filter on another post but can’t locate it. 

Just an update :

I managed to find the mesh filter which was heavily was blocked. Thanks for your help. It’s working fine now. 

Sorry, but did you not notice the filter when you replaced the tank? You need to remove/replace it before you can place the pump into the tank..

Not sure about the bleach idea - it's corrosive to rubber isn't it? No issues in using it to clean and soak etc.. But wouldn't leave it in there. Vinegar does the same thing but again not sure how the rubber seals would hold up.

I used a pressure washer on mine last time.. If you get a right-angle nozzle (under chassis nozzle) then makes it super easy to clean out. Probably had to do mine twice in 5 years so don't mind not using anything in there.

Sorry I didn't reply before you found the filter. I need to make sure I get on here more often. 

I didn't know that bleach was corrosive to rubber. I've only been using a small drop, which when diluted in 5L, the size of the washer bottle, is nothing but is enough to kill the bacteria that causes the blockage of the filter. 

Since I've killed the bacteria and all the existing scum on the sides of the tank has been removed it has stayed clear.

I wonder if there is something safe for rubber that can do the same job?

Kirkynut 

If it's only a drop then I wouldn't worry tbh..

Such a small amount i'd doubt anything would happen!

Yeah, I only pop a drop in as I was worried about how it might effect the paint. 

Kirkynut 

I've been using Halfords Berry smelling screen wash but none of them seem to have anything to stop mould or bacteria growing in the coolant. I'm sure they used to.

That's where my tiny drop of bleach came in.

Kirkynut 

I use the predator blood looking stuff from Halfords.

Had the car 11 years now and cleaned out the filters twice in that time. Not bad! lol

On 10/11/2019 at 13:09, martauto said:

i found using the blue stuff from asda etc blocked up the filter.

Mart.

I used the ASDA one for years and years, no problems. One time I did have a problem was when the car was worked on by a garage, they topped up the tank. After, algae grew and took over the whole tank. It took 2 full strength bleach treatments before the problem was under control. If you have stuff growing in your tank, you have to take the tank out and immerse it in bleach. The ASDA stuff is just liquid. Can't see how that could block the filter by itself.

22 hours ago, E46Driver330Ci said:

I used the ASDA one for years and years, no problems. One time I did have a problem was when the car was worked on by a garage, they topped up the tank. After, algae grew and took over the whole tank. It took 2 full strength bleach treatments before the problem was under control. If you have stuff growing in your tank, you have to take the tank out and immerse it in bleach. The ASDA stuff is just liquid. Can't see how that could block the filter by itself.

Asda and tesco stuff did the same in three of my cars.

Mart.

I've used Tesco's stuff in the past. Perhaps that is what caused the algae to start and then bleach was the only thing that would kill it and clean it out. 

Perhaps I should have left it to soak in bleach with the rubber seal left out.

Kirkynut