e30-bm

how to raise height rear end on 330ci?

evening all, question have a 330ci m sport, with 19ns on. fitted some new springs today apparently oem m sport bilstein springs... but they seemed to be about 1/4 inch shorter than the ones that came off, the ones removed  looked to be m sport ones - they had three white marks on them?

but yeah fitted the springs and ass end is lower, but want to raise it up a bit anyone got any ideas thicker spring pads?... it drives much more firmer than the old springs but lower which i dont really want.

with people in the back and luggage car just rubs the arches, probably be worse now tbh

If it doesn't work then it can't be OEM. Put the old ones back or go buy BMW springs. Both the springs and shocks should be made by the same manufacturer. I don't believe bilstein made the E46 shocks. Mine had sachs. But I am reluctant to tell you to get sachs springs because when I tried a sachs shock it did not perform as good, last as long, or had the precise dimension of the BMW one. To get the non-BMW branded OEM part, you have to be 100% sure they are the same part. The problem with the suspension parts is that they mess up the the geometry if they don't match the original. Once messed up, it's very difficult to get back the original BMW feel, which is what made these cars great to drive.

Edited by E46Driver330Ci

9 hours ago, E46Driver330Ci said:

... The problem with the suspension parts is that they mess up the the geometry if they don't match the original. Once messed up, it's very difficult to get back the original BMW feel, which is what made these cars great to drive.

Don't agree with that AT ALL.

The standard sport suspension is quite soft and doesn't feel very good. Remember, these are standard road cars. Not performance cars. If you're happy with that, leave it as OEM as possible.

If you like to drive enthusiastically then the suspension is a cheap/effective upgrade to transform the handling of the car.

As above, get rid of the springs. If you need more height go back to OEM springs or fit coilovers and raise them.

FYI - if you do a search on here the most popular springs that people use are Eibach. They come in sportline and pro kit for your car. Sportline will lower front and back. Pro kit will reduce the arch gap at the front but barely touch the rear. People have had them fitted with 19's with no issues.

Another option would be to reduce the tyre width. If you've fitted 265, got with 255 or 245 rears.

9 hours ago, momo said:

Don't agree with that AT ALL.

I was talking about something different. I was talking about the feel of the suspension geometry that is transmitted to the  steering wheel. The factory set up gave me a big smile every time I drove. Once that's lost from messing about with the suspension parts, that feeling is lost forever. I don't even think a dealer £500-£1000 alignment will bring it back, although I never tried.

I am not a performance driver, and more of a regular grocery driver. The m-sports set up is plenty stiff for me. If it gets any stiffer, my grocery will surely get scrambled at the back.

Edited by E46Driver330Ci

Apologies, my bad!

You're right about the geometry. Been there, done that! 🤣

Once you lower it knocks the caster out permanently so it could be that. You can always get camber/toe back into spec but caster can't be changed.

I didn't mind so much though so kept the lowering springs.

apparently they are oem according to their site b3 springs with m sport, old ones that came off im assuming were the original ones which came with the car, but even those with a full car rubbed,

are touring/ m3 cabby springs any different which will bump up rear end?

or only other option is adjustable mounts if i could use it with these bilstein springs,

If the old springs rubbed then your rear tyres are too wide as the offset on these 19s are too aggressive.

On standard springs the rears should not be rubbing at all. No point lifting the rear - it'll knock camber/caster and potentially toe way out!

If they're OEM spec springs, leave them in. touring/M3 springs will be much harder and may make the rear feel Audi-like crashy over bumps. Get those tyres changed and sell the old ones.