McPikie

M47n engines, are there differnt powers?

Wiki has me chasing my tail. I've just picked up an E46 320d saloon 2003 and wondered what the actual power figures were as there seems to be 114bhp and 134bhp thrown about. I know the later ones in the E90 were 163.

Can anyone confirm from my reg MA03UXT

I thought they were 147bhp..

But easiest way to tell is the same as the 330d

If manual - 5sp or 6sp gearbox.

Either way - the engine cover. Earlier ones had the partial cover which is all black with the BMW logo and a few silver stripes. Later ones had the full engine cover with the large grey insert in the middle.

3 hours ago, momo said:

I thought they were 147bhp..

But easiest way to tell is the same as the 330d

If manual - 5sp or 6sp gearbox.

Either way - the engine cover. Earlier ones had the partial cover which is all black with the BMW logo and a few silver stripes. Later ones had the full engine cover with the large grey insert in the middle.

I know it is a 5speed manual, so likely to be the lower powered lump. I guess a simple remap would up that, or is it a case of a different turbo? I don't want to go silly with it, but everyone always wants a bit more "umph" 

Yeah I think they're 130bhp or there abouts.. Remap is worth it if you're planning on keeping it a while. Otherwise it's pointless with the value of these cars now.

If you want performance then the best thing to do is sell it and get a 330d! Now more than ever considering how cheap you can get them.. lol

4 hours ago, momo said:

Yeah I think they're 130bhp or there abouts.. Remap is worth it if you're planning on keeping it a while. Otherwise it's pointless with the value of these cars now.

If you want performance then the best thing to do is sell it and get a 330d! Now more than ever considering how cheap you can get them.. lol

I picked up the 320d for silly cheap off a friend. It is for workhorse duties up and down the motorway as I am moving house, so my 3.2v6 TT will be a little thirsty for that, plus can't fit my colleagues in for car sharing. 

Once I have sold the TT, the money will go into a nice E60\E61 530d