Luketrials

330ci Clutch Wear - Scrap it?

I have a 330ci 2004 e46 with the SMG gearbox, I had issues getting the car into gear after a short stop. Car cycled all through the gears, finally shifted into first and managed to pull over. Car audibly shifts through gears but it sounds like it wont engage, garage has suspected it to be clutch issues.

The garage has said the main concern with replacing the clutch is that the gearbox may also need replacing and could be more than the car is worth.

Worth me trying to get it fixed or scrapping it, I've been offered £300 for scrap. I imagine it will probably need a new gear box/ I have NO understanding of cars what so ever 🤣

150k miles 

Abs sensors are damaged 

Has damage to rear passenger wing 

Everything else is in good condition (my opinion which means little here 🤣

Worth much more than £300 in parts mate..

Put it up on eBay listing the faults with a £300 reserve if you want.

It wont be an SMG gearbox in that car either. SMG was only available in the M3 (manual gearbox with electronic actuator). Yours will be SSG. No idea on fixing them.

A good condition 2004 330ci still fetches a couple of grand. ABS sensors are cheap. If it's something simple like it just needs a gearbox service (remember, garages will always give worst case scenarios) then it likely won't cost much to fix. Someone will make a nice tidy profit on that if you sold it for £300. Hell, if someone bought it and got a 6-sp conversion done, I bet they'd still make over £1k on it!!

The garage added alittle fluid but suspected it to be the clutch and advised me it will probably cost more than it's worth and best to scrap it. Theres been no gearbox issues prior to it breaking down. It's a great car it would be heartbreaking if it were as simple as needing a service/blocked filter? How much would it be worth me spending/ I bought it 2 years ago for £1800 

BMW garage has informed me that if it is the clutch, it will most likely need the flywheel replacing too which would be nearly the cost of the car to replace. They said that after 150k normally the clutch and fly wheel both go?

Where you based because I will give you 300£ instantly for it lol please don’t listen up on garages too much but like others said your better of throwing a 6 speed manual and keeping it if you like the car enough. 

There's a guy on Facebook that does conversions. Las Erikas. Supplies and fits them.

Nick Jupp (got plenty of bits from him myself) can supply if needed.

Conversion can be done for £600 or £900. Can't remember which.

Dealer will charge £2k for clutch and flywheel of a manual car, that's why they're saying that. Had my diesel, manual clutch and flywheel replaced last year for £600 all in. You can buy clutch/flywheel parts online (just don't use Euro car parts as they refurbish them so don't handle any power).

I sold recently a 6 speed manual gearbox from 330 for 100£ new clutch kit single mass flywheel included around 200-250 luk , pedals, hydraulic system for the fluid,

las erikas top guy on facebook for Bmw guruness and yes nick has all the parts you need just inform you haha his does package his stuff very well I mean very well 😂 haha