Luketrials

330ci Clutch Wear - Scrap it?

I have a 330ci 2004 e46 with the SMG gearbox, I had issues getting the car into gear after a short stop. Car cycled all through the gears, finally shifted into first and managed to pull over. Car audibly shifts through gears but it sounds like it wont engage, garage has suspected it to be clutch issues.

The garage has said the main concern with replacing the clutch is that the gearbox may also need replacing and could be more than the car is worth.

Worth me trying to get it fixed or scrapping it, I've been offered £300 for scrap. I imagine it will probably need a new gear box/ I have NO understanding of cars what so ever 🤣

150k miles 

Abs sensors are damaged 

Has damage to rear passenger wing 

Everything else is in good condition (my opinion which means little here 🤣

A car with a new clutch and gearbox is better than another car without. If you are sure of the condition of your car then it's a case of better the devil you know. The use value of your car is considerably higher than the insurance value so long as you don't crash. Typically with older cars, people (US videos) buy parts from junk yards.

Those people offering you £300 will surely get £3000 out of it. Maybe you can ask them if they have a good deal on a clutch and transmission?

I believe there's a company that re-solders the DSC for a fee. If it's just the speed sensors, I don't think they are extremely expensive. Pressures sensors are penny a dozen (not literally of course) from China if you don't mind the risks. I had good luck and it worked for me.

Edited by E46Driver330Ci