Nero Taylor

320i Touring Tailgate Issues

Good morning,

On Saturday I purchased my first E46, a 2002 BMW 320i.

I have found that the rear heated screen, rear wiper, rear tailgate open button all do not operate. I believe the wiper is completely seized as I have tried spraying WD40 all around the point itgoes through the glass and it will not budge. Is this a common issue on the Tourings?

Thanks for any help! Very much appreciated.

Nero

Hi Nero,

Have patience with the rear wiper & wd you will get there as i did with mine. Sprayed it morning & night for 4 days until the weekend.eventually i slowly worked it free. Be careful not to hit it as you can break the glass! Sand the stem with wet n dry more lube/wd40 etc elbow grease. The other stuff...fuses/connections before actuators etc.

Good luck mate.

Hi Mick,

Thank you for replying, appreciated. It seems that this forum has dried up over the coming past years, unfortunately..

I opened my tailgate the other day and saw that the wiring loom going into the tailgate has a few wires split and all of them are exposed and electrical insulation tape around the tired and cracked plastic wiring loom surround. This would most likely explain why the tailgate release switch, heated rear screen, rear wiper will not work.

Thanks,

Nero

Hi Nero,

Yep it has or is drying up as the cars get older & owners move on.Its a shame but the threads on here will help you out with most stuff.

How you getting on now with the wiper arm?? If i remember correctly i made it move say 10mm at a time backwards/forwards until it would revolve all the way but it took a long time to get the bugga out & clean the pivot shaft with wet n dry. I did this 5 years ago now so i make sure i use it regularly & the odd drop of WD or 3in1 must help. 

Your car is a huge investment. You, therefore, have to put in some work and money into protecting it and ensuring that it can serve you for the most extended period. Excellent maintenance and care are equivalent to a more extended serving vehicle, and while there is a lot you can do to keep your car safe, the first and most crucial step is protecting it from the day to day harsh elements. i forund a website here you can chose best outdoor car cover, Thanks!

fQ3TKJI.png