incredirog

ASC module plumbing

I got my 318i for a steal as it has a problem with the ABS. Basically it locks the rear left wheel which only releases when the car is stationary. No fault codes. I’ve rebuilt the brakes to remove mechanical fault, I’ve recoded the previously replaced MK60 module to have the correct vin, bled the whole system, bled the ABS pump which fires up with reassuring force. When I noticed this 

AE283291-9DEF-40D8-8150-39595DA7937B.thumb.jpeg.653718694a48beb5dffe1e3e0b2b37c9.jpeg

the top flex hose should be in the left most connection, I’ve verified against my other E46 and obviously I’m going to correct this. My question is, before I go chucking another litre of dot4 into the car, would this have been done deliberately for any reason? to make the car driveable and mask a fault with the ABS pump, lock a rear wheel and not front? or is it just sloppy workmanship and the rear wheel is locking because it’s getting the power from the front? Either way I’ll fix it but if anyone of the 5 people who read this have an idea let me know! 

No need to plumb it as it is - simply poor workmanship. The markings on the unit are in German and are as follows:

V = Front inlet
H = Rear inlet

VR = Front Right
VL = Front Left
HR = Rear Right
HL = Rear Left 

So currently the rear inlet (H) is plumbed into the rear left (HL) and the rear left (HL) line is acting as the inlet. D'oh! 

7QKzDmD.jpg

ncfLo1N.jpg

Zlq2Ru4.jpg

I bet either the pump failed at some point or they needed to replace the ABS pressure sensors and just threw it together without remembering how it was supposed to be.

Worst case if it's masking an issue when you have a spare on the 330d! If you want to sell the 330d as a roller just remember how this pump was installed to mask the problem.. (Cough, cough - no I don't have COVID!) 🤣

3 hours ago, Schumacher said:

M62 or S62 would be my choice. 

The most popular conversion is the earlier 4.4l 280bhp version isn't it?

Honestly don't see the point of it for 280bhp.. Only 30/40bhp more than a 330i. If you could somehow get the S62 400bhp from the E39 M5 in it, then yes!!!

I remember years ago we had Blair on the forum who did work at dynotorque, he did the LS conversion on his and said he'd found the LS V8 engine was actually lighter than the S54! Hate to imagine how much heavier earlier M62s would be!

5 hours ago, incredirog said:

Ah that would be sweet but beyond me, I’m all about the plug and play, the “plan” is to follow the well trodden S54 path. I can do that without too muc fabrication. But it’s years away if it ever happens! 

If you want plug and play - https://vorshlag-store.com/collections/bmw-e46-lsx-swap

LOL

On 06/12/2020 at 13:15, momo said:

The most popular conversion is the earlier 4.4l 280bhp version isn't it?

Honestly don't see the point of it for 280bhp.. Only 30/40bhp more than a 330i. If you could somehow get the S62 400bhp from the E39 M5 in it, then yes!!!

I remember years ago we had Blair on the forum who did work at dynotorque, he did the LS conversion on his and said he'd found the LS V8 engine was actually lighter than the S54! Hate to imagine how much heavier earlier M62s would be!

If you want plug and play - https://vorshlag-store.com/collections/bmw-e46-lsx-swap

LOL

I was thinking the TUB46 (342hp) or the Alpina version of the same engine (370hp).

this is getting out of hand, may as well extend the nose a touch and slip an M73 in there!! 

for what it’s worth, which isn’t a lot, the N42 is actually the smoothest 2 litre I’ve experienced, absolutely gutless but silky smooth, I forget it’s even switched on sometimes 

Edited by incredirog

2 hours ago, Schumacher said:

I was thinking the TUB46 (342hp) or the Alpina version of the same engine (370hp).

That'd be difficult to source and probably more difficult to find any parts to make it fit the E46 engine bay. LS all the way!! lol

2 hours ago, incredirog said:

this is getting out of hand, may as well extend the nose a touch and slip an M73 in there!! 

N73!! Oh yes!! lol. It would be interesting to see if it's smoother than your 2.0ltr! 😶😆

the old girl did chug a bit, more so after I ruined the exhaust with a sporty back box, perhaps I’m not giving the soundproofing enough credit here 😂

I know what’s gonna happen though, this one will eventually die and I’ll end up buying a written off 320i for £100 and doing the conversion on the drive in the pissing rain over the course of a hellish weekend in February and coming on here telling you both how underrated the 2.2 is!