Nexus6

2002 330Ci HORN location

Hi,

I am having trouble locating the above after searching online in various places/forums/ parts websites (even YouTube) but to no definitive avail.

My car is a December 2002 model and although I understand the location of the horns on the later models are behind the front bumper area, I also read a couple of vague comments and also saw on a BMW parts diagram (though that was general and not a full diagram) that the earlier models are located behind the front grill? 

It's too cold, dark and wet right now to try and see if this is true so it would be good to know if anyone can confirm this please? 

Only one of my existing horns (high or low tone) isn't working so I expect one needs replacing ( assuming it's not a fuse or relay :unsure:).

Thanks, but my question is really regarding other information I have read/ seen which advised that earlier pre-facelift models had the horns located behind the grille in front of the radiator. 

I also seem to recall seeing one unclear photo of them there  - although I don't remember where now having spent ages trawling around - but it wasn't definitive I'll admit and perhaps may even have been a different model) - though there is a general location diagram on realoem.com which does show it behind the grille for my earlier model year)

If that's wrong then obviously it's definitely where you and most of the other posts I read have stated. Once the weather improves I'll sort it, but I was hoping to confirm the location was where I'd hoped since it would be much easier to access (although why BMW would change to a more awkward location on later models doesn't really make sense - but then more illogical  things have happened than that, and BMW changed making it easy for DIY decades ago, no doubt to provide the stealers with more hours of maintenance work :angry:)

One thing you might be able to help with though please. Assuming they're to the left and right of the lower arch liners, do you know which side the high and low tone horns are please? It will obviously be better for me to order the correct one before removing the liner to find out which part number it is. I can't tell which one is still working but it sounds pathetic on its own. 

Thanks again.

Tony

Not sure where you read that info but on mine (54) and my dad's car (2000) they sit on the support bar. They're in similar locations on the E38 and E39.

You can access them by removing the sidelights and fog lights and reach down/up. You'll need a universal joint to loosen/tighten the nut. Can't remember which side is high/low pitch but just disconnect the plugs to find out which of yours isn't working. 61338379711 is low pitch, 61338379712 is high.

This is from the repair manual:

fHTnunH.png

MAH7KDm.jpg

Thanks so much for putting this matter to bed. As you say I don’t know where I got the idea from but obviously it was wrong and the location is definitely and definitively where you and others have said all along. 

Now that the weather is improving ( for now at least) I’ll be getting it done and thanks also for the tips about access and the universal joint socket. 👍