CharlE46

330d M57 oil everywhere and running rough.

Hi Guys, driving home the other night it started running really rough like it wasn't running on all cyclinders. I initially though an injector had gone as it's happened before on this car but after taking all the engine covers off I've found oil everywhere, would a cam cover gasket failure make the engine run really rough and spray oil everywhere? If not any other ideas?

Car was running perfectly fine before hand, no water or oil being used and started on the button with no smoke. I have checked on INPA and I had no new errors other than 'engine roughness regulator '. 

Edited by CharlE46

Couldn't see anything loose anywhere and the oil is sitting mostly all around the injectors/oil seperator etc on top of the cam cover, it has also sprayed down over the turbo/ac compressor etc. It's a right mess. I'm going to strip it all down to clean and wil refit with new cam cover gasket/injector seals/oil seperator etc and run it, if it doesn't cure it at least it'll be easier to see where the oil is coming from. 

Rocker cover gasket changed and engine bay now clean, the old gasket was hard and broke apart so no wonder oil was everywhere.

I'm now left with this rough running issue making the car undrivable, have just done a compression test and cylinder No1 is the culprit registering around 20psi when the other cyclinders are all around 390/400psi. Did a wet test on cylinder 1 and didn't make any diferenence so either headgasket or valves?? I have no oil or water mixing.

Are there any further tests I can do before starting to pull the head off?

Thought I'd update as there is nothing worse than searching a running issues and finding a thread that is the same as your issue with no conclusion!!!

Took the head off and found that I had a burnt exhaust valve on cylinder no1, had a 3mm hole in it!! I checked over the condition of the piston and cylinder bore which was suprsiingly all good. Had a look for replacement valves and tools but came across a recently refurbished complete head for not much more than the cost of valves and tools etc. New head fitted along with new headgasket etc and it runs perfectly again.