momo

Door handles..

Well, I finally found something that isn't engineered very well on these E46's!

The blummin' door handle cables and actuator.

Went to pick up the kids from school last Friday and went to open the drivers door and *SNAP*. Interior door handle went limp.

I was working on the weekend so didn't get around to it until Monday. Stripped it all down and found the interior handle cable had snapped. Seems simple enough! But to get that replacement cable back onto the hook of the actuator is a nightmare! That one thing must have taken me about 30mins. Couldn't get the damn thing to hook! Put the window back up thinking it would be easier, while it gives you more space it's still a chuffin' nightmare! I've got quite thick hands so that didn't help..

Once it was on though, it worked fine. Go to put it all back together and now the door card won't go back on! 😭

In none of the guides does it say to remove the weather strip that attaches to the door card at the top where it sits against the window, remove it from the door card, put it back onto the door separately and then the door card will go back on nice and easy..

So there you have it - Semi-rant, semi-informational post! lol.

Thanks for reading..

I had an issue with mine a few years ago and just paid a local indy to sort it.

I went and got the required part from Sytners and he fitted it, on my drive :)

Yeah I was thinking to get my indy mate to sort it but they would've charged a couple of hours labour. In the end it just cost me £16.30 for the cable from my local BMW dealer and a few F words here or there so not so bad overall.