Sign in to follow this  
incredirog

Sad Day

Not been as active mainly as the cars been flawless and I can’t be bothered to modify it as it’s a 2litre! 

Anyway Mrs Incredirog very kindly refurbed my style32’s in shadow chrome for my 40th which I’ve had in the shed all winter, I promptly put them on the car at the first sight of spring sun and a few weeks after that a bus decided to try and merge into my lane through my car absolutely ruining the pristine, if a little brake dusty wheel. 🙁

Damage is cosmetic so it’ll be going back to refurbers, the wing is repairable on car as it’s just paint damage insurance involved so all bets are off but they can’t possibly come back with uneconomical to repair as there is no panel work and I only really want a single wheel refurb. 

6B512332-7F12-4557-B71F-C9CFC8DA3E3F.jpeg

Bad news!

I think it'll probably be written off tbh. Insurers (in my experience) don't just pay for a quick refurb. They'll have to price up a new wing, with fitting and spraying/blending into surrounding panels and a replacement/new style 32 wheel (so long as it's been declared). I know some insurers will give you the option to repair the existing panel but it still has to be insurer approved (usually one they pick, not you).

I'd expect that to tip it over the write-off limit. HOWEVER in reality you could easily buy it back, get the wheel refurbed yourself and pocket the difference..

haha way to make me feel worse! needless to say I won’t be leaving her unattended at any insurance yards. but yes you’re absolutely correct about the economics of it which is why I’ve made it perfectly clear I just want the money for a refurb from my preferred wheel place, it’s on the third party so insurance company are being mega helpful. at this point! 

the wing was rusty anyway I’m not gonna gamble the car on getting a minor repair on an already rotten panel I can find on eBay for fifty quid 

Edited by incredirog

so the bus company never accepted liability as far as I know and my insurance asked me to take it somewhere for appraisal which I never did and it’s all gone quiet since then. any of you regulars got any experience of what could happen next, I’m aware my premiums will probably take a knock, but obviously unless I claim it’s not actually a claim is it? 

If you logged the claim and they gave you a claim reference number then they'll chase it at some point.. If you're happy to get the repair done yourself and move on then you're best off closing it with your insurance company.

They'll no doubt knock up your premiums regardless.

It's a shame about the bus company but unless there's evidence/witnesses then they won't admit fault and pay out for nothing. I'm sure if you pushed you'd get them to fold but it's up to you how hard you push for it.

1 wheel refurb and 1-panel being repaired might cost a few hundred. Toughy!!

I’ll give em a ring and try and close it down, hopefully they’ll accept no fault both ways, there was zero financial impact on the bus company - closed no claims intact but now I have to say “I have been involved in an accident” thanks for your input gents 

Edited by incredirog

Blame the missus! Say she hit a kerb then tried to blame someone else.. LOL.

Nothing like owning up to a little insurance fraud! Yeah, maybe don't do that.. 😬

They shouldn't have a problem closing the claim down, the only issue is if they decide to use it to put up the premiums next year because they now deem you an increased risk. It happened to my wife years ago. Someone scraped her car, went through insurance. Other party agreed to go through insurance. I was at work at the time. When it came to it they disputed ever hitting the car. When I came home and had a look I noticed it was only a little paint transfer so bought some rubbing compound and it came up fine. Closed the claim with 0 financial impact on either party but they put up the premiums the following year anyway. Wife learned the hard way not to jump the gun in the future. But the insurance companies will use any excuse.

Yeah the insurance knock is just par for the course, I had to report it as the bus was covered in cameras. There was no chance of making a “gentleman’s agreement” at the roadside, we’ll see come the autumn!