Balcones

318CI question

Strange to hear my car hasn't got these flaps !  I paid a mechanic nearly 500  because of a bad idle and misfire which has now returned. I can't seem to get any paperwork/receipts  from him just a quick email which he quotes

' The swirl flaps were not closing properly and that they were bent  which I explained after my repair on the 25.02.22 need to be replaced at some point'

Thanks for all your comments

Edited by Balcones

sounds like you’ve been had there, bad idle and misfire could be a list of simple service things. if your car did have swirl flaps which it doesn’t the cost effective solution would be to delete them and not repair or replace anyway, which any decent mechanic would/should offer you as an option. the only thing I’d say in mitigation is he may have incorrectly named a different part as swirl flaps so find out what if anything he did before you start calling him out for fraud. 

Is the throttle body on some sort of flap mechanism? I have no idea, i'm guessing..

But I would bet he's incorrectly named a part. Go back and ask him to show you the swirl flap. If you don't know what it is yourself, take a pic and post it here so we can help identify it.

As incredirog said - on Diesels, so long as it's not broken free and wrecked the engine (on diesels the flaps enter the combustion chamber and rattle around there damaging the cylinders) the best thing to do with swirl flaps is just remove them.

Yours doesn't have them so ideally need to know what he actually meant.

Tbh if I was you, with that engine i'd just get rid..

Edited by momo

Thanks appreciate all your responses. He has confirmed the swirl flaps question and blames me for disturbing something in the engine which has caused the misfire. Not helpful at all. I've had this car since new and done 97k so its hard to let it go. Rang BMW who confirm no swirl flaps in my engine  :(

Edited by Balcones

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

Thanks appreciate all your responses. He has confirmed the swirl flaps question and blames me for disturbing something in the engine which has caused the misfire. Not helpful at all. I've had this car since new and done 97k so its hard to let it go. Rang BMW who confirm no swirl flaps in my engine  :(

Sounds like you need a new mechanic tbh!

Whether you disturbed something or not, you're paying him to find the issue and fix it! What kind of silly excuse is that? LOL

Understood about sentimental value. If you've had it that long and you know the service history then it's different. Better the devil you know, as they say! You would've looked after it so hopefully it'll be solid. I believe its when they've not been looked after they can get tempremental.

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

Can you believe BMW UK don't have a technical dept, so my request for confirmation in writing of swirl flaps for my engine was unable to be answered. Tried RealOEM but couldn't find the answer there either.

I believe that tbh, it's not up to them really - it's up to the local dealership service departments to service the cars. They're the only ones who need to know. You COULD maybe have gotten the info from their marketing team IF it was a current car.

They're not really shown on RealOEM either because on the diesel they come as part of the intake manifold:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Sedan/Europe/320d-M47N/R-N/mar2004/browse/engine/intake_manifold_agr_with_flap_control

The intake manifold on the N42 is very different:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Sedan/Europe/318i-N42/R-N/feb2004/browse/engine/intake_manifold_system/

It maybe past this point now but it would've been useful if you could've gone to the previous ID10T mechanic and asked him to point/show you the flap location, you take a pic and upload it so we can identify it. Long shot, but might work.

Unfortunately still on this erratic idle issue. Smoke test found a small break ( less than half inch) in the rubber boot with resonator (part 13717506181), could that be causing the bad idle? Don't want to spend £50 on a new one if its not the fault.  Thanks