Just thought i would share my refurb with you.

I know when you see DIY you may think oh god, a gash job lol but i have been thinking of either getting my alloys refurbed, or a new set or seeing what kind of job / finish i could get by doing it myself and tbh i am quite happy as i had nothing to loose because if it didnt go to plan then i would send them away to get sorted.

I was quoted around £400 ish to get them sorted but everyone wanted to just powdercoat and tbh i wanted a gloss finish, so hey i thought why not i'm doing one wheel at a time and am happy with the results.

Its not costing me much just in paint really which isnt much but good quality not halfords crap. I have had some experience in spraying plus my old man used to have a garage and sprayed a lot and even used the old methods with a roller! yes a roller! this actually gave a better finish than spraying at the time plus he says the quality of paint back then made a difference.

I know i havnt removed the wheels which is somthing i wanted to do but i dont have the equipment and is hassle. I have removed the wheel weights and they will be re-balanced when finished.

All 4 wheels have now been done since this post a few weeks ago. It makes it so much easier being split rims! The spokes are not being touched at all as there is nothing wrong with them, they will just recieve a clay, machine polish and wax.

I got fed up of seeing the corrosion on the inside of my BMW wheels and also a few had corrosion on the outer rim. The pictures here show the best wheel! the corrosion is quite bad on all four but its enough to make me sick lol and the finish i have achieved is much better if i do say so myself as it will probably get chipped again over time plus have saved myself the hassle of posting the wheels and having to find another temp set or having the car on stands etc.

anyway...

Wheel removed

IMG_2480Small.jpg

Torx bolts removed

IMG_2481Small.jpg

Spokes removed before cleaning

IMG_2482Small.jpg

Wheel cleaned

IMG_2484Small.jpg

This is the best wheel, you can see the corrosion

IMG_2485Small.jpg

IMG_2486Small.jpg

Wheel sanded first stage (no work was carried out on the floor! or even at my house)

IMG_2488Small.jpg

IMG_2489Small.jpg

The rim had a lot of hours work wet sanding after getting through the old lacquer from 80 grit all the way to 1500 in stages, then machine polishing

IMG_2490Small.jpg

IMG_2491Small.jpg

IMG_2492Small.jpg

IMG_2493Small.jpg

After sanding the inside it was time for primer (no spraying was done outside, i have use of a room)

IMG_2494Small.jpg

IMG_2495Small.jpg

Paint was then applied, it takes about a week to do one wheel but i'm taking my time and making sure the primer, paint etc dries. 2 coats of high gloss lacquer was finally applied and left for 3 days. Wheel put back together, bolts all cleaned up, a few drops of threadlock on each bolt and torqued up. Wheel is now ready to be re-balanced with the weights on the inside to they cant be seen.

Well done! good job mate. My c/s rims are pretty bad and I want to get them sorted but I can't take my car off the road long enough, either to do them myself or to put them in for refurb. I really like the c/s rims but wouldn't mind doing something different to them, anthracite or Ti spokes, something along those lines. Maybe in the future I'll buy a cheap set of wheels to get around on while I get mine done, shame you live so dam far away :(

Top Job mate they look spot on, i really need my wheels doing as the paint has blistered all over, i done my last set on my E36 sport as they were split rims and they come out really good, but the currant ones look like i might have to get them shot blasted, but i have been quoted £35 a wheel inc painting so its not to bad

Top work!

Those wheels are a bitch for corroding. mine were in a right state when i got my clubsport. Guy i have used for a few other re-furbs did mine for me for £300 which included splitting and re-assembling and colour coding the centres. Quality looks just as good on your DIY TBH. only benefit was he had them all done in four days which was handy as i also don't have any sets of spare rims anymore.

Top work!

Those wheels are a bitch for corroding. mine were in a right state when i got my clubsport. Guy i have used for a few other re-furbs did mine for me for £300 which included splitting and re-assembling and colour coding the centres. Quality looks just as good on your DIY TBH. only benefit was he had them all done in four days which was handy as i also don't have any sets of spare rims anymore.

Four days!! I can't be without my car for that long :( ...although I could borrow my girlfriends Z4 I suppose...If I must :D

To resurrect an ancient post what torque should the bolts be to join the face to the backs? Is the order just the same as doing wheel bolts and doing the opposite bolt each time? or a special order for making sure the surface is flush?

Still not sure what colours to do mine, thinking an silver outer lip, black or re-spray spokes anthra, for some reason I'm feeling that getting the backs done in a candy orange would look cool, not sure how it would work on the blue tho or when it came to selling

Damn good job there Dude , looking really SMART !

When i got my CS it had only done 29k so luckily the wheels were in real good nick , although i did promptly change them to the ones i have now and sold them for £700 :D

well there's a cheap genuine set going on piston heads for £350!!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/999906.htm