Bizzyfingers

320d DIY Oil change.

After looking around on the net I found that there was no real information on the oil change procedure for the E46 320d. So after having a little fun with wrong oils (long story) ive decided to make my own, hopefully this will help some folks out there a little.

BEFORE YOU START

Please remember that if you drop any bolts or tools down behind the engine it may be hard to extract them so be careful!!!!!

Take you car out and let it warm up (the oil will drain better)

To start with the tools required are,

An set of allen key's (cant remember exact size)

A pair of latex gloves

A 17 mm socket or spanner

An extension bar

A clean rag

A flat bladed screwdriver (this is for ease of use not mandatory)

A 36mm socket (and upsize adapter to 3/4 inch drive)

A posi/star screw driver

A ratchet

A power bar

An elbow (makes things easier with sump plug)

Im sure you know how to jack up a car but please use axle stands to secure the car. Safety first.

First off the tools I used

IMG_0671.jpg

Here is the oil filter housing

IMG_0678.jpg

I found that to make it easer I removed the engine cover (5 allen head bolts) and slides out (beware of the grommit to the right of the cover) just push it towards the rear of the car, it may take some budging.

IMG_0666.jpg

Here are the bolts. make sure you keep them safe and not lying on the engine bay.

IMG_0668.jpg

Now locate the sump cover/flap, undo with posi/star screw driver

IMG_0681.jpg

The sump plug is hidden underneath (17mm socket + elbow), when loosening off remember the oil will come out quickly and will be hot/warm so remember to have a container ready!!!!

IMG_0680.jpg

When the oil is draining you might as well remove the oil filter (36mm socket and extension bar/power bar), cover the oil filter housing with a rag (stops anything falling/flying/crawling/being dropped into it)

IMG_0674.jpg

Here is a picture of the sump nut washer (must be replaced) and the oil filter gasket (must also be replaced)

IMG_0667.jpg

This is the location of the old filter gasket, I found that it it was better to use the flat bladed screwdriver than picking it out with my hands.

IMG_0672.jpg

Now after the old oil has drained out, MAKE SURE THE WASHER CAME OFF WITH THE PLUG, mine didn't it was stuck to the sump.

Replace the sump plug and washer, re-fit the oil filter (tight, not sure on torque setting but make sure its nipped up).

Re-fit the engine cover and sump cover.

Use a funnel/half cut bottle to start pouring the new oil in. I believe it takes 5 litres but use 4.5 first as its better to be under than over, you can always top it up not always take it back out.

Lower the car off the jack/axle stands, start the engine (before hand the dipstick will seem like it has loads in until you have the car level (off jack/axle stands) and the filter has had a good time to soak through.

After a few minutes check the oil level and fill accordingly.

If i have missed anything out please feel free to let me know.

I hope this helps. BIZZY

I bought an oil pump from ebay last week.. what an awesome tool! Did an oil change on my car in about 15 minutes - not a drop of oil was spilt. The sump was sucked dry, leaving me just needing to swap out the filter and pour in the fresh oil.

It was only £25 too. I'm never getting under the car for an oil change again! :angry:

Rich

That's right, you don't even have to look under the car. Suck the oil out the dip-stick, change filter, pour in new oil.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...alenotsupported

030c_1.JPG

The worst thing I can say about this particular kit is it only holds 4L of oil, so you have to empty it somewhere once in the process if you have a 6 pot.

Rich

sorry to resurrect such an old thread, would castrol 5w-30 be ok? (did try to search for oil but search tool wouldnt let me!), my dad drove the bm the other day and ran out of oil!! then put cheap 15w-40 oil in it, now white smoke is comming from exhaust, hopefully puting the right oil in will solve this. any advice appreciated

Just had an Oil Service done at National Tyres. Usually I would do an oil service myself as its easy and doesn't take long. But the Oil Service only cost £38, which included; oil filter, engine flush, Castol Edge 5W30 oil (approx 7ltrs). Couldn't complain at that price as the oil alone would have cost more than that from Halfrauds!!

So got it done cheaper than doing it myself and just sat in a nice warm waiting room for 40mins (better than working under the car in this lovely weather)!!

Good write up!! :angry:

This will save so much time and effort, GREAT find.... Just a little note, if you go to the sellers shop link below its £22.99 FREE postage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4L-OIL-FLUID-EXTRACTOR-HAND-LIFT-PUMP-great-4-boats-/350368521473?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item5193975d01#ht_864wt_905

. Replace sealing washer on drain plug.  Reinstall drain plug when oil has finished draining (oil will be slowly dripping out). (Tightening torque specifications: 25Nm (18 ft-lbs)) Reinstall oil pan access panel. 

Reinstall oil filter cover. (Tightening torque specifications: 25Nm (18 ft-lbs))

Hope that helps....

i dont bother with dropping the oil now,,i have a vacuum syphon pump,,lot easier,,as long as you can position the car so the dipstick tube is the lowest point..ie on a sloped driveway etc..only around £15 from scum bay